Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
CONCERNED ABOUT MOM
NYCityboy posted:
My mother is 84 and lives on her own. Most recently she called me then 2 days later said she didn't have my phone number. We went over this and she found it on a sheet with her other numbers. 2 days later she said she didn't have my number again , found the sheet read my name and didn't connect the name to it being mine. She has taken the train to visit me. This is a trip that should take 1 hourwhich instead took her about 6 hours. I got a call finally from the street when she was across the street from my building saying she couldn't find my building. I waited, then came downstairs and observed her from across the street where she was looking at a cash register receipt in front of my building, while looking confused. She was then preparing to cross the street past my building, which I assume she didn't realize she was in front of. When I approached her I said hello and where were you? She replied that she was taking a walk. On another occassion she left her house without telling me that she was getting ready to travel. Several hours later she called me from a train station saying where she was. I told her not to move I will pick her up from there. She does not have a social circle, and pretty much keeps to herself. She takes care of herself, cooks, shops and is otherwise in good health. I thought to get a companion for her a couple of days a week. She does not have a bunch of medications to take. I just noticed that she stopped taking an osteoporosis medication that was prescribed to her. What is your take on this situation. If this is not the corrected board to post on please advise which one is. Thanks

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
This is very concerning. Wandering and losing her way, forgetting phone numbers and being unable to comprehend the numbers when shown them, are all very important things to get checked out. This isn't something that can only be managed with a couple days of companion care in my opinion. Please go to the doctor with her, explain what is going on and get professional help in finding the cause of her confusion, forgetfulness and wandering before she gets hurt or hurts herself.

GAP1954 responded:
Please don't leave this situation in limbo any time at all. Find a geriatric evaluation unit (usually a team of doctors, nurses, pschy D, nutritionists etc.) and have a complete work up done on Mom. The behavior you are describing could be the result of a number of conditions, including Alzheimer's Disease. But it is not enough to guess. Until this evaluation can be completed and a professional assessment of her needs undertaken, you need to have 1. someone move in with her or 2. her move in with someone 3. take up residence in an assisted living facility. The third option is probably going to be your most logical choice and be certain it is a facility with what they call a "continuum of care" - one that can meet her increasing needs as she ages and needs additional levels of help.

I don't want to scare you without reason - there is a significantly high percentage of elders who enter this condition and wander away and become confused and are simply never found again. Please be very pro active on this and let us know how you progress. If you cannot find a team at least find a doctor specializing in geriatrics.

NYCityboy responded:
Do you know how long it takes for Alzheimer's to progress to a dangerous point? choice 3- where do you find asstd living facilities that are reliable and affordable? Please explain a "continuum of care" is this assisted living that graduates to medical services? Thanks

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm the caregiver for both my parents and my in-laws. It's a juggling act but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Helpful Tips

Questions to Ask About Nursing Homes
What should caregivers know about nursing home care? Long-term care for loved ones requires doing your homework. You will want to read this ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.