Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
Caregivers and Stress
GAP1954 posted:
There have been a great number of posts and responses dealing with the burden of emotional, physical and spiritual stress that Caregivers live with and all too often become sick with - some to a point where they must now receive care. While there are no easy steps to take in handling the actual work of caregiving, there are some techniques and outlooks that can help you cope with some of the stress.

As a Caregiver, the first (and sometimes most important) realization that you must discover is this "Caregiving has an end" . Age has no cure and as sad as it is, death ends the task of caregiving. So much of what we do as caregivers seems to centered around trying to cure or at least change the road of life our loved ones are traveling. May I suggest to you that finding ways to make the journey less anxiety-filled, less painful, less frightening needs to be the overwhelming purpose of our caregiving. Our attempts to hold on to our loved ones often are more for our benefit than theirs.

The Caregiver Foundation of America's latest newsletter focuses four articles on stress and caregivers - you can sign up to receive the newsletter free at www.thecaregiverfoundation.com or please feel free to email me directly and I might be able to help you with some specific advice. But - as others have advised - "hang in there" .

Gary

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm the caregiver for both my parents and my in-laws. It's a juggling act but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Helpful Tips

Revised: New Features on Exchanges!
Dear Members, You may have noticed some changes that happened to your Exchange after last weekeend. We rolled out a few new features and ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.