Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
Hard Time w/Holidays
Louise_WebMD_Staff posted:
My mother is having a hard time with holidays. This has been the case for a number of years-my father's birthday was on Thanksgiving and he died right after New Year's about 10 years ago. Many of her other loved ones have passed on as well, as she also faces the frustrations of her own health conditions.

Do you have any hints for helping her have some holiday cheer?

renalupie1 responded:
that was always tough here as well. Dad's birthday was December 21 and mom and dad married on December 26th. I would take mom to the gravesite, with some flowers and give her some time to remember and talk to him. I don't think there is ever a good way to help them not get melancholy this time of year.

I also tried to always have some of mom's favorite christmas music playing in the evenings. She loved to sing along to the music and that always cheered her. And I enjoyed listening to her sing or whistle. When I baked my cutouts, I always made sure she had a bunch to ice and decorate herself. would set up a little table in the living room at her chair for her to work on them. She was comfy, and could work at her own pace. Tried to remind her that she still was capable of doing something.

Hope that helps

Rena

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
My parents married on December 21st.

She had him cremated and his ashes are actually in our living room, so no grave site.

Good idea on the cookies-she used to be quite the baker but I sort of have let the kids manage cookies-maybe I will see about her joining in this year.

Spotlight: Member Stories

In 2006 my husband fell in the hallway hitting his head blowing his c-3 disc in his neck bruising his spinal cord becoming a quadriplegic.Since it wou...More

Helpful Tips

Revised: New Features on Exchanges!
Dear Members, You may have noticed some changes that happened to your Exchange after last weekeend. We rolled out a few new features and ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.