Skip to content


Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
Decided no treatment/Lung Cancer
WildaMarie posted:
My husband (age 83) has decided not to treat lung cancer (lower right lung, esophagus and right clavicle). My concern is that now we don't know if what is happening (skin rashes, pain, fatigue, cough, hoarseness, etc.) is because of the cancer or just the aging process. The cancer was found incidental to an MRI for peripheral neuropathy in his legs. He sees his regular doctor at least once a month. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
unknown responded:
I would go ahead and call his regular doctor to learn if his new symptoms are a temporary cold or pneumonia that can be treated or if it is related to his cancer and whether it is of value to do some testing. In any case, the doctor will know whether treatment of some nature is possible-if only to help him become more comfortable.

Let us know how he is doing.
GAP1954 responded:
My heart goes out to you both - Please work with an specialist who will be able to help treat the complications from the cancer. The pain, fatigue, cough etc. could all be related to this. I doubt if the skin rash is since he is not taking nuclear meds for treatment. Ask his regular doctor for a plan of care and referrals to : a geriatric dermatologist, a pain specialist and a pulmonary specialist.. There are many practical and emotional considerations to his decision and I recommend you both get involved with a cancer support group or some other type of support group.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have gotten to know cancer pretty well. Since 2002 I have supported my wife through four successful battles with breast cancer, going with her to ov...More

Helpful Tips

Revised: New Features on Exchanges!
Dear Members, You may have noticed some changes that happened to your Exchange after last weekeend. We rolled out a few new features and ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.