Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
Bedsores
BykerAngel posted:
So much I want to say after reading other posts, but for now I'm going to stick with my original reason. I take care of both my parents and recently my father has developed bedsores. He has Parkinson's and dementia, although one doctor says Alzheimer's. He constantly moves and wriggles around in his bed. The constant movement creates friction on his bum and over the last week the redness, despite using Desitin, developed into bedsores. At first it was a blister but then the blister busted and it took the skin with it. I try to keep him turned on his side, but he often pulls the pillows out from under him and tosses them in the floor. If I'm in another room cleaning I don't know this until I'm done or he starts yelling for something. What else can I do?

unknown responded:
Do you use egg crate on his mattress? Is it possible to get him out of bed? Have you taken him to the doctor for information on bedsore treatment? There are prescription products and dressings available. Do you have any help at all?

BykerAngel responded:
This is the first time anyone has mentioned eggcrates. We're supposed to be getting an air mattress for his bed but I haven't heard anything on that yet from the insurance. We set him up on the side of the bed and there's a recliner we transfer him too when possible. We have to be in the room with him to be able to do this though and have a constant eye on him. Home health comes in once a week to keep check on him and my mom. Though soon it'll just be him. They can't keep my mom as a patient because she refuses dialysis. We're still waiting on word for what the doctor wants done as treatment for the bedsore. Mom's had them before from where her diapers pinch but hers cleared up right away. Dad's is being more resistent to say the least. It's mainly just me and my hubby. I get so confused whenI talk to his doctors. None of them agree on ANYTHING!

GAP1954 responded:
Try using a sheep skin until you can arrange for an air-flow bed. They have proved very good with bed sores and fibromialga.

maxanne responded:
We've had bedsore problems for a year. My husband has Parkinson's and bedridden for over a yr. and progressed to the point where he can't get out of bed as the disease has affected his legs. We just got an air mattress a month ago. I can't say if it is solving the problem. We have home health care and anything they have suggested we have tried., not to mention our family Dr. Nothing was working and the sores were so bad it was scary. We turned him on his side at night and then a sore sprung up on that side so now we have two. Nothing worked until I tried the large BAND AID brand bandaides with antibiotic on them. I am having good luck with them and have reduced a large scale sore to a single smaller sore. I trim the bandaids down so his skin is free from the adhesive. I use two and then cover with a large plain adhesive waterproof bandaid. I redress both 2 to 3 times aday depending on the diaper wetness. His nurse is amazed at the improvement.. It does gets expensive as we go thru many in a week. However I'd almost sell the farm to get rid of the sores and even if not gone completely, he is not suffering the pain as before. I might mention that a catherer would help keep it dry but he has prostrate cancer and can't be done in our case. Gosh! I hope this helps as I very much know the hell you are going thru.. Good luck!

GAP1954 responded:
An old style way of covering them that has proven effective is saran wrap. Might be cheaper than the band-aids.

BykerAngel responded:
This sounds so much like our problem as well Maxanne. My dad is at this point with his Parkinson's as well. It's exacerbated by the dramatic weight loss he's had over the last year. He's little more than skin and bones now despite the feeding tubes we give him. He's turned every 1 - 2 hours but it seems to do little good. I checked his skin before I left for the store today (a minimum 3 hour trip due to our location) and there were no new marks but by the time that I got home he had a small circular place on his right side hip where the skin had become irritateidi and then torn. It's so frustrating not knowing what to do! I feel as though I am failing as his caregiver because of this.

renalupie1 responded:
Pinxalv Pronounced Pink Salve. It is for babies. I used that alot with my mom. Even worked well for diarrea sores. kinda hard to find. But worth it. Also, Bag Balm is an old fashioned thing, but works well.

Egg crates and sheep skins are both great for bed sores. The air flow bed will help,but boy are they a pain to work with. Especially when turning them. there use to be these seaweed patches that the doctors prescribed for mom. worked well too.... Don't remember the name. Been too long since I had to worry about that.... Sorry.

You are not failing. This is just a part of the process. You try and try and it is SO hard to stop the sores... Hang in there. You give it your best, what happens beyond your care is nature taking its course. I tried like heck to save my mother's legs. Felt so guilty when she lost the first one. But I learned, it wasn't something I could control. Nature does what it does. I fought even harder for the second leg, and lost that battle too. So I know how you feel.

Your folks are lucky to have you.

Rena

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 32 year old female whom has been a caregiver for my husband. He was in a toxic chemical accident at his work and now has cervical disc disease,...More

Helpful Tips

Questions to Ask About Nursing Homes
What should caregivers know about nursing home care? Long-term care for loved ones requires doing your homework. You will want to read this ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 21 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.