Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
My mother in-law was diagnosed w/alzhimers 8/09. She is under a dr's care, but forgot her (adult )sons birthday this month. How do I address this w/her?
catspets posted:

Take the Poll

Is this normal progression of disease?
What action should we take?
  • normal progression of disease.
  • action to take.
vote
View Poll Results

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Catspets,

Rather than having her feel bad for something that's already happened and certainly wasn't intentional, how about working out a system with her to help prevent it from happening again? Maybe you could set up a large calendar and mark special events for her on it. Then cross off each day as it passes so it helps her with a sense of up-and-coming events.

Perhaps you could even help her by saying things like, "John's birthday is in two weeks. Have you thought about what you'd like to get him?" Then maybe follow up with something like, "John's birthday is next week. Can I help you put a stamp on his birthday card (wrap his gift, etc.)."

You may also want to ask over on the Alzheimer's Exchange with Health Expert Helene Bergman.

Best wishes,

Byroney

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 32 year old female whom has been a caregiver for my husband. He was in a toxic chemical accident at his work and now has cervical disc disease,...More

Helpful Tips

Questions to Ask About Nursing Homes
What should caregivers know about nursing home care? Long-term care for loved ones requires doing your homework. You will want to read this ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.