Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
My mom had a stroke and is on a feeding tube, cannot speak, swallow, or move right side. The problem I am having is that she is building up hard balls of mucus in her mouth
An_188402 posted:
that is not been cleaned out at all by nursing home aides. I am afraid she is going to choke to death coughing on this. I was wondering if anyone knows of any type of product I can purchase in which I can clean her mought out with.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Anon_15072,

First of all, I would call your mother's doctor and find out what is appropriate for oral care for your mother. Make sure to tell him about the problem you've discovered.

Secondly, I would suggest that you need to talk to the supervisors of the nursing home aides. Take a picture of your mother's mouth and show them that the aides are not doing what they should be for your mom.

They are getting paid to do a job, and it is essential for your mother's help that they do it. Perhaps you should ask for different aides, or contract with a different company for your mother's care?

Write back and let us know how she's doing,

Byroney

Spotlight: Member Stories

In 2006 my husband fell in the hallway hitting his head blowing his c-3 disc in his neck bruising his spinal cord becoming a quadriplegic.Since it wou...More

Helpful Tips

Natural Treatments for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Looking for some natural treatments for rheumatoid arthritis, or RA? Check out this article on natural therapies that are so popular ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.