Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
wish she could comeback.
dickyhoff posted:
Hi, my wife was diagnosed with altz. about 3 yrs ago.she is on arocept,namenda and effextor for the mood swings. As the primary caregiver it is a real chalenge to say the least. I have found that after 47 yrs of marriage, I consentrate on all our many,many blessings that we have shared together and they far out weigh the bad. I tell others that i'm just damn glad that i don't have to cook and feed all the people that she claims are here all the time. I'v found that she dwells on her paper work all the time (word find books from the dollar store). I buy the large print and also the easiest one's for her to work. It will occupy her most all afternoons. I'm open to all other tips on caregiving. She is a retired RN,that spent her last 18 yrs of work taking care of altz. patients in the nursing home. I understand her denial.

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome to the Caregiver Exchange. My heart goes out to you as I can hear how much you miss the interaction with your wife of so many loving years.

It is understandable how your wife would not easily cope with being diagnosed after helping so many patients in her years as an RN. Bless her heart!

I am sure more Members will chime in with any caregiving tips they can share soon. Until then please feel free to come back and keep us posted on how you and your wife are doing. We look forward to getting to know you and supporting your role as best we can.

Spotlight: Member Stories

In 2006 my husband fell in the hallway hitting his head blowing his c-3 disc in his neck bruising his spinal cord becoming a quadriplegic.Since it wou...More

Helpful Tips

Questions to Ask About Nursing Homes
What should caregivers know about nursing home care? Long-term care for loved ones requires doing your homework. You will want to read this ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 21 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.