Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
Where to go? How to help?
An_188406 posted:
I'm not sure where to post this, please let me know if it isn't. I'm posting on behalf of my mom, who is taking care of my 83 yr old stepdad. My stepdad has several things going on with him, it will be easier to list:

1. Terminal cancer (lung), don't know how long he has left (they said he won't see next Christmas). Going to chemo and radiation.
2. Early onset altheimers (wrong spelling).
3. He also has a colostemy bag (and the things associated with that..by itself it wouldn't be much but in combination with the other things. There are complications with that now (I won't go into all the gory details)

Is there anything I can do to help her? Is there anywhere I can go for resources? What can she do? She needs help taking care of him but with the finances the way she are can't afford it on her own. She is getting overwelmed quickly. Anything that you could pass along would be of great help.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Anon,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to WebMD. I am so sorry to hear about your mom and stepdad. I am sure overwhelmed is an understatement at times.

The first thought that comes to mind is Hospice . Many think Hospice does not get involved until death is close, but most hospices will accept patients with a life expectancy of six months or less. Please have your mom discuss this possible option with all of your stepdads doctors.

Search this Eldercare Locator for resources and help in their
community and see our Caregiving: Insights for Caregivers resource for many other suggestions.

There is help out there, it does take a great deal of time to research and find programs. Caring for a loved one is exhausting then add the stress of trying to find help and it can be extremely overwhelming. You are helping your mom more than you know by getting this started.

Please let me know if this is helpful and if you have other questions we are here!

Thinking of your family,
Elizabeth

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 32 year old female whom has been a caregiver for my husband. He was in a toxic chemical accident at his work and now has cervical disc disease,...More

Helpful Tips

Natural Treatments for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Looking for some natural treatments for rheumatoid arthritis, or RA? Check out this article on natural therapies that are so popular ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 20 found this helpful