Skip to content


Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
Dads strokes
SuzersN posted:
My dad just turned 70 he has had 3 strokes since November, each one takes a little more from him.

The question that I have is related to insurance my parents secondary insurance just cancelled them because he made a payment that was $100 short -apparently they recieved notification that the premiums had increased but due to the strokes my dad missed it. Is there anything that my parents can do to rectify this? Does anyone know of a similar situation?

Also, I have gone through most of the post that others have written, but unfortunately I havent found much on people regaining short term memory loss from strokes. Is it possible? I may just be looking for false hope...
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear SuzersN,

I am sorry your family is going through so much at this time.

For your insurance question, see our Health Insurance Navigator, Lisa Zambosky's blog . Re-post your concerns there for more response. You may also want to call your state insurance commissioner to check cancellation protocol.

Also, our "A Patient Voice" Community may be helpful for insurance questions.

See our Stroke Community for member and possible expert response for questions about your dad's recovery.

In the meantime, this article, Stroke Recovery and Rehab , from our Stroke Health Center may be helpful.

I hope you find answers soon,
orangetwist responded:
You may try long term care insurance , there are some insurers who accept cases of stroke.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a wife and mom. Our daughter just started Kindergarten, I am amazed how time has flown by. My caregiving story began about eight years ago when ...More

Helpful Tips

Revised: New Features on Exchanges!
Dear Members, You may have noticed some changes that happened to your Exchange after last weekeend. We rolled out a few new features and ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.