Skip to content

Announcements

Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
New Diagnosis
Ljenn1981 posted:
Hi, I am a 30 year old mother of a five year old boy. Who just found out that my mother has Alzheimer's. I have known that something was wrong for a while now. But, she just didn't want to except it. We have had some family difficulties and now I am the only person who is willing to care for her. Any suggestions?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and Welcome Ljen1981,

I am sorry to hear of your mom's diagnosis. Caring for your mom and not to mention a five year old can be very exhausting. First thing to do is to take care of yourself, mentally and physically. Although, easier said than done.

Take a look at this resource, Caregiving: Insights for Caregivers . This may give you an idea of where to start.

My best suggestion for taking care of a family member as Alzheimers progresses is to validate their feelings and comments vs trying to correct or ague with them. For instance, my grandmother would be panicking and looking for her dog that had died. I would tell her, "I just saw him and he was sleeping in the other room". She would accept this for a few hours then ask again. She would also panic about money, I gave her a checkbook (from a closed account) and some cash and always told her "You have everything under control, you took care of that" vs trying to explain I was taking care of things.

Please let us know if this is helpful and if you have specific concerns,
Elizabeth

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 32 year old female whom has been a caregiver for my husband. He was in a toxic chemical accident at his work and now has cervical disc disease,...More

Helpful Tips

Revised: New Features on Exchanges!
Dear Members, You may have noticed some changes that happened to your Exchange after last weekeend. We rolled out a few new features and ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.