Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
I am the youngest of 5 kids and has had the honor of taking care of my mother for over 8 years alone now, with NO help from anyone, I am Stressed!
An_188411 posted:
I am the youngest of 5, all of my sisters and one brother have left me with this responsibility for 8 years now, Since my father passed.They go on with thier every day lives but whenever I try to find a job or like my current situation, I have a 2 bdrm apt, she has one room and my daughter the other....leaving me and my Fiance' out in the living room with NO privacy. When I seek employment or even speak of my wedding plans all of a sudden she isn't feeling well, or has to be attended to, as in a diaper change, when she has complete control and her own potty in her room for convienience, she makes it a point to wait until the last minute and causes her own accidents, or doesn't want to get off of the telephone when she has to go. How am I ever going to get a job, become stable and start bringing an income back in when all she does is gets honry and jealous!

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and Welcome Anon,

It sounds like something need to change quickly in your home, I am so sorry you are feeling overwhelmed.

Is you mom able to "visit" other siblings for a week at a time to spread out responsibility of her care? It does not seem fair for your family to handle all of this.

Are you able to get any services from Eldercare or Medicare/Medicaid for some help during the day?

Also, take some time looking at this Caregiving: Insights for Caregivers resource for other information.

Please let us know if your other family members can help, let them know you need it!

Elizabeth

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a wife and mom. Our daughter just started Kindergarten, I am amazed how time has flown by. My caregiving story began about eight years ago when ...More

Helpful Tips

Natural Treatments for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Looking for some natural treatments for rheumatoid arthritis, or RA? Check out this article on natural therapies that are so popular ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 20 found this helpful