Skip to content


Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
I am the youngest of 5 kids and has had the honor of taking care of my mother for over 8 years alone now, with NO help from anyone, I am Stressed!
An_188411 posted:
I am the youngest of 5, all of my sisters and one brother have left me with this responsibility for 8 years now, Since my father passed.They go on with thier every day lives but whenever I try to find a job or like my current situation, I have a 2 bdrm apt, she has one room and my daughter the other....leaving me and my Fiance' out in the living room with NO privacy. When I seek employment or even speak of my wedding plans all of a sudden she isn't feeling well, or has to be attended to, as in a diaper change, when she has complete control and her own potty in her room for convienience, she makes it a point to wait until the last minute and causes her own accidents, or doesn't want to get off of the telephone when she has to go. How am I ever going to get a job, become stable and start bringing an income back in when all she does is gets honry and jealous!
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and Welcome Anon,

It sounds like something need to change quickly in your home, I am so sorry you are feeling overwhelmed.

Is you mom able to "visit" other siblings for a week at a time to spread out responsibility of her care? It does not seem fair for your family to handle all of this.

Are you able to get any services from Eldercare or Medicare/Medicaid for some help during the day?

Also, take some time looking at this Caregiving: Insights for Caregivers resource for other information.

Please let us know if your other family members can help, let them know you need it!


Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 32 year old female whom has been a caregiver for my husband. He was in a toxic chemical accident at his work and now has cervical disc disease,...More

Helpful Tips

Questions to Ask About Nursing Homes
What should caregivers know about nursing home care? Long-term care for loved ones requires doing your homework. You will want to read this ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 21 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.