Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
the forgotten caregiver and mental illness
mentalIllnessCaregiver posted:
I see many supports for those who have family with Autism or Alz or strokes /diabetes.Everyone is fundraising or holding dinners or run support groups in the rural area I live in.Mental illness is not addressed,yet there is a lot of it here, especially in the poorer county.
I live in a rural area that has very few supports for a caregiver, caring for someone with a severe mental illness. It is very different living in a rural area as when I lived in the city.
I am moving back to the city as soon as I can so I can get better supports for my son. Thanks to my computer I obtain much info and discussion boards.Still it is better to be near a place that has many physical programs in place and meet people who are active in support groups, hear their experiences, what works.Although I have hooked up with one mental health org. NAMI when there are very 2 people involved who are functioning well, what benifit is it to someone as myself with big problems.If you know of other mental health supports for a caregiver who cares for a severe mentally ill adult please share.
appreciate it greatly need to keep my sanity

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello and Welcome,

You are correct, mental illness is not campaigned for or publicized as other diagnosis/conditions.

What is your son's diagnosis? We will try to provide you with some specific information.

Elizabeth

mentalIllnessCaregiver replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I know its been over 2 years I will always be his main support person. He was diagnosed with schizoaffective bipolar at 24 yrs. He was precribed new med which triggered mania, he went off all his med it progressed to psychosis. He went 9 mos refusing meds,as violent, ended up in jail, was beat up n jail 3 mos there, it goes on and on. His condition has deterioated to paroiniod schizophrenia. He is 33 now. He is high functining, intelligent and very cognative. His father had it also so I can safely say that because I witness the same displays of behavior.

There have many issues to deal with. He is in a grouIp home now by law.He is forced by law to take the meds. He is safe and has his needs met. I really need to think about planning for the future when they release him. He cannot live at my home.The stress on me is a issue for me. I have yet to connect with other families who are actively managing and I dont feel I manage well.

livepctv25 replied to mentalIllnessCaregiver's response:
I think, your are surfing internet for get your favorite teams match Jamie Kavanagh vs Andres Navarro live Boxing tournament streaming TV link directly on your desktop, laptop or net-pad. Don't worry, we are here for your help. Here you can get your all sporting event easyle. So don't be hesitated just follow our instruction and recommended streaming link assure that you are 100% satisfied in our service Boxing
Lady's & Gentleman, Welcome to join here for watching .Welcome to watch 2014 matches between Live Jamie Kavanagh vs Andres Navarro online TV Channel on your Laptop; ===== just follow our streaming link ===== Ensure that you must be 100% satisfied in our service. So don't be hesitated just click the above link and start watching. Best of luck GET YOUR LIVE HD SPORT

MATCH DETAILS ============== Team : Jamie Kavanagh vs Andres Navarro live
8 rounds — lightweights division
Las Vegas (Showtime PPV)
Date: March 17, 2014
Hello & Welcome to watch Boxing game between Jamie Kavanagh vs Andres Navarro : Live Streaming On Your Pc . Watch Live TV| Boxing 2014 Jamie Kavanagh vs Andres Navarro Live Online on your Desktop, Laptop, Mobile,Iphone, Ipad and other devices. Watch Jamie Kavanagh vs Andres Navarro LIVE- Boxing anywhere in the world! Watch Live Sports TV 24/7! It's is worldwide TV Channel coverage and no TV Streaming restrictions. So keep watching and enjoy your time.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm the caregiver for both my parents and my in-laws. It's a juggling act but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Helpful Tips

Natural Treatments for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Looking for some natural treatments for rheumatoid arthritis, or RA? Check out this article on natural therapies that are so popular ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.