Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
can i receive payment for being a caregiver while receiving ssi?
An_188412 posted:
i've been receiving ssi for over 15 yrs for mental and physical reasons. my mother had a stroke almost 3 yrs ago that left her confined in bed. my brother lives with her so he's there with her at night but i'm there 10-12 hours a day EVERY day to take care of her. i live next door so, when i go home, all she has to do is call if she needs something.
i don't regret one minute of the time i spend with her. she's always been the best mother anyone has a right to expect!
i've heard that even though i'm on ssi that i could get paid for being her caregiver. can anyone tell me if this is true? if so, how do i get it started?

Anon_233834 responded:
Can you contact local SS or welfare office?You should receive some compensation as that is great care & although you love Mom.a strain on your already difficult condition & quality of life.Also,to hire help could be a huge cost.

wpooh27 replied to Anon_233834's response:
I was wondering about that myself because someone told me i could get paid to take care of my husband since he is legally blind.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been here at WebMD since 2007, but I've been involved in social media and moderated communities online since 1994, so you know I just lov...More

Helpful Tips

Questions to Ask About Nursing Homes
What should caregivers know about nursing home care? Long-term care for loved ones requires doing your homework. You will want to read this ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 21 found this helpful