Skip to content

Announcements

Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
Caregiver of husband with COPD and asthma
dailymeditation posted:
NEED HELP/ADVICE/ANYTHING: I am married to a very kind loving man who puts me first even with his COPD. However, he wants me more physically and mentally than I give him. We used to be just fine until we moved 7 years ago to Tucson. During these years in Tucson I had ovaries removed, hysterectomy, have no friends, even though I have joined running, hiking, swimming and T'ai Chi classes/groups, I still can't connect with others to get to that friend stage.

The worst came two years ago when I was working F/T, going to school at night, caring for my husband (when his condition turned to oxygen 24/7 and disability at home with a couple long trips to hospital per year), 18 year old daughter (after 4 years with my ex) back in my life for college in Tucson, I had a MAJOR breakdown. I was then diagnosed with Bipolar with Depression (which I knew I had since my teen years - had all the symptoms), been hospitalized 5 times for attempted suicide and still have very very difficult time wanting to stay alive, but don't want to because I love my husband and my daughter very much (relationships good with both, even though tension on the husband side.) I am very lost, pretend all the time, sometimes don't get out of bed for days, misuse my medications and lie to my husband about it. I have a wonderful psychiatrist and psychologist and have adjusted the meds to a place we think are good (although I guess not or I would'nt feel this way.) I know I'm RAMBLING, but I'm beside myself with what to do/not do, strength is just not there to keep me on a regular or any kind of routine of food, exercise, sleep, etc. SO WHAAT DO I DO??????

Wpooh27 responded:
I dont really know what to say other than i know how it is to take care of a husband that is sick, we are not in the best of health yourself. i stay depressed ALOT. My husband doesnt have a clue that i am depressed or he would tell me to go to the docor to get meds. Also, all i can tell you to is just hang in there and just Pray God help you through this struggle that is what i do. Hopefully this will help you some. You know God is the only one that can help any of us through the stuff we go through.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 32 year old female whom has been a caregiver for my husband. He was in a toxic chemical accident at his work and now has cervical disc disease,...More

Helpful Tips

Questions to Ask About Nursing Homes
What should caregivers know about nursing home care? Long-term care for loved ones requires doing your homework. You will want to read this ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.