Skip to content

Announcements

Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
New to group - needing support
erinj833 posted:
Hi

I have just found this group and am grateful to have a place to come to. I moved home to live with my elderly parents last year after health issues. They both have had their share of problems, but I have noticed a decline in memory and functioning. I worked for many years in nursing homes/alzheimer's communities/assisted living communities, so the aging process is not new to me. However, it is different when it is your own parents. I feel totally alone in this journey and am at a loss as how to keep my own sanity and take care of myself.

Thanks for reading.

lebosired responded:
Hello, I too have just discovered this group and am relieved to read the stories of other people facing similar struggles. I am full time caregiver to my husband who has vascular dementia and other health issues. It is a lonely journey. My husband used to be an outgoing, hard working man; he was my "go to guy" but he has been slowly slipping away in front of my eyes. I suspected some form of dementia but kept wondering if I was over reacting, perhaps he was just aging, getting tired... perhaps I was expecting too much. Now it has been confirmed by 4 different doctors so I know it is real but there is still a part of me that keeps trying to fix the problem. If only I could do something different, maybe he would get better... but he doesn't. That's why I started looking for a support group online. I can't leave him alone, he gets frightened on his own. I hate seeing the fear in his eyes. I think it's important to have the support of other people who have been through similar issues. I hope you find this group helpful, I do. Good luck.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm the caregiver for both my parents and my in-laws. It's a juggling act but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Helpful Tips

Revised: New Features on Exchanges!
Dear Members, You may have noticed some changes that happened to your Exchange after last weekeend. We rolled out a few new features and ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.