Skip to content

Announcements

Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
New to group - needing support
erinj833 posted:
Hi

I have just found this group and am grateful to have a place to come to. I moved home to live with my elderly parents last year after health issues. They both have had their share of problems, but I have noticed a decline in memory and functioning. I worked for many years in nursing homes/alzheimer's communities/assisted living communities, so the aging process is not new to me. However, it is different when it is your own parents. I feel totally alone in this journey and am at a loss as how to keep my own sanity and take care of myself.

Thanks for reading.

lebosired responded:
Hello, I too have just discovered this group and am relieved to read the stories of other people facing similar struggles. I am full time caregiver to my husband who has vascular dementia and other health issues. It is a lonely journey. My husband used to be an outgoing, hard working man; he was my "go to guy" but he has been slowly slipping away in front of my eyes. I suspected some form of dementia but kept wondering if I was over reacting, perhaps he was just aging, getting tired... perhaps I was expecting too much. Now it has been confirmed by 4 different doctors so I know it is real but there is still a part of me that keeps trying to fix the problem. If only I could do something different, maybe he would get better... but he doesn't. That's why I started looking for a support group online. I can't leave him alone, he gets frightened on his own. I hate seeing the fear in his eyes. I think it's important to have the support of other people who have been through similar issues. I hope you find this group helpful, I do. Good luck.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been here at WebMD since 2007, but I've been involved in social media and moderated communities online since 1994, so you know I just lov...More

Helpful Tips

Revised: New Features on Exchanges!
Dear Members, You may have noticed some changes that happened to your Exchange after last weekeend. We rolled out a few new features and ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful