Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
Grandpa
bhenderson0684 posted:
Hey community. My name is Britney and I am 27 years old. 3 years ago my mother moved out of the house that is conviently located next to my grandpa. I was worried that there would not be anyone going to visit him considering I have an aunt and uncle, 2 cousins and one brother. Only one of the cousins is younger then me. So My boyfriend and I moved in next door so my grandpa would have company everyday and have someone close if something were to happen. At this time my grandpa was doing everything by himself. At this time he is 78. Let me make it very clear of my situation. I am 27 and have been putting off my life to make sure my grandpa is well taken care of. My brother and cousins are currently in school and working. My uncle and his wife are LOADED my aunt is in her upper 40s and retired from HP. My uncle has 2 welding business' that he just sold. I work a full time job and have been wanting and waiting to start my life and finish school get a better job, buy a house and start a family. About 7 years ago my granpa had a kidney transplant and it worked very well til about 1 year ago. He is now has 10% of his kidney functioning. He has major difficulties moving around. Every task is a TASK in itself. It takes him 20+ minutes to get dressed, he needs help off the couch, he doesn;t cook, clean or hardly bath by himself anymore. At this very moment he is in the hospital bc he has so much toxic material in his blood that he cant eat, pee, drink, nothing. except lay there and sleep. He just had emergency dialysis and seemed to b feeling better. Needless to say he will be coming home shortly if he continues to get better. Only problem is the family wants him to move into the house I am living in. Which indirectly makes me main caregiver. He will need 24 hour service. I am working a full time job 7-5 then I go to school 2-4 nights a week from 6-10 pm. That means I would be out of the house from 7-11. No time to take care of my grandpa. I feel very awful for not being there as much as I would like but I cannot put off my life anymore so everyone else can continue on with what they do. It is my mom and my uncles responsiblity to take care iof there father. I have one. Plus I do not want to ever have to make a life changing desicion or have to help him take a shower or wipe his butt. I do not think that is something the granddaughter should do. Please help me. I need help and FAST. My grandfather will be leaving the hospital soon and I dont know what to do. I need to talk to my uncle but I am not sure what to say and I dont want to make anyone upset with my decsions. PleaSE HElp

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 32 year old female whom has been a caregiver for my husband. He was in a toxic chemical accident at his work and now has cervical disc disease,...More

Helpful Tips

Questions to Ask About Nursing Homes
What should caregivers know about nursing home care? Long-term care for loved ones requires doing your homework. You will want to read this ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 21 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.