Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Statins don't work for me either!
jangurt posted:
I've tried 6 different statins with the same end result: moderate to severe muscle pain/ache in arms and legs. Even Zetia, which is supposed to NOT be a statin caused muscle distress. Now I've started 3 gm's/daily Lovaza (prx fish oil). It's a pretty large gel cap but if it decreases triglycerides it will be well worth taking.

bigl61 responded:
I understand how you feel i've had them all with the same results even zetia,dr. acts like I'm crazy lol,my ins. would'nt pay for lovaza,My last cholesterol check was 400 so now I am on welchol 625mg 3pills 2xday along with two fish oil capsules seems to be working biggest problem with this is it causes bloating so you have to watch what you eat as far as a large meal.the fish oil have less after taste if you freeze them gl with your treatment.

DitsyDeb responded:
I took Lipitor for years without a problem. Then BC wouldn't pay for it any more. So my doc prescribed Simvastatin, the generic for Zocor. I began to hurt, but not in my muscles, in my joints. Back, elbows, shoulders, especially, sometimes hips and knees. I didn't think of it as something to do with a statin, but it was the only thing that had changed. My doc is now trying to get BC to pay for Lipitor. We'll see if that helps.

Wingerwendt responded:
I had the same muscle problems of the thiegh muscles. This compounded the problem when I had both knees replaced.
I am now taking WELCHOL 625MG tablets, 2 pills twice a day.
My Cholesterol and Triglycerides are under control. I can now climb stairs, which I couldn't do before. This drug is not a Statin.
Have your doctor let you try these.

jereece1 responded:
I have problems taking statins as well. I also tried Red Yeast Rice but it has the same side effects. I am currently using Cholestoff which is an OTC product containing [br>Plant Sterols and Stanols. It is moderately effective, not as good as stains or red yeast rice. To my knowledge, fish oil does not lower cholesterol.

billh99 responded:
You did not give your profile, but there are a number of alternates depending on what worse problems are.

Life style changes are the first line of treatment. That include exercise, weight reduction, and reduction in carbohydrates.

Specially refined carbs - white flour, surgar, etc.

And for high triglycerides in addition to the statins, there is the fish oil, fibrates and niacin.

bjcella replied to bigl61's response:
My tricylcerides(sp?) were over 1000. None of the toxins worked, statins made me claw up (hand and foot). Went to a vegan diet (no animal matter) no cheese, no butter, no eggs, no nothing. 6 weeks later cholesterol was normal, six months later it is still normal, although I cheat now and again and have a steak for dinner or eggs for breakfast. I wouldn't have believe it, but it worked. I stopped taken any meds for cholestrol after 1st good test. Haven't taken any for 8 months.

rayg874 responded:
I took Lipitor for 12 years and it left me disabled because the doctors could not believe that was the cause of my pain. The drug companies had convinced the doctors it was so safe. One doctor finally suggested I go off in 2004 and my pain level went down by half, it has been slowly fading ever since. Zetia made my chest cavity ache. I told doctors there was no way I would ever take a statin again and am no on the fish oil and so far so good.
My cholesterol was 300 when I started and have not had it checked yet.

An_188263 responded:
I tried all of the statins resulting in moderate to severe muscle and joint pains over a 15 year period. Lipitor worked the longest, but began to give me problems. I used Zetia next which also gave me muscle problems; followed by Welchol which caused severe headaches--used for only 2 months.
Now I am using niaspan which is lowering my LDL and raising my HDL. But not as rapidly as the statins. I had flushing for the 1st 4-6 weeks, but no other problems at this time.

PJU60 responded:
I tried at least 6 statins and had muscle and joint pain, also tried Lovaza and it didn't help. My Dr. put me on Livalo and it has made a big in my numbers and no pain at all, been on it for about 4 months. The only thing is that my insurance doesn't recognize it , but you get a cupon from the Dr. and it covers part of the cost.

lanegang7 responded:
My father was on Zetia. Nasty stuff!! He started to act like he had dementia and was stumbling. It was terrible! After just 2 weeks off of the medicine he did regain his old personality. When they tried to put him on them again at
Cleveland Clinic and we told them he reacted to them, they wanted ton know what the reaction was. When they were informed they did not argue, and he didn't receive them. Statins don't work on triglycerides do they?

toneman84084 replied to lanegang7's response:
No. statins do not affect serum tgl's. Hope they find a way to help your father. Have they tried a fenofibrate like Tricor? That works very well on tgl levels and is very safe.

Tony

NegraNoche responded:
I have been taking statins for over ten yrs and my cholesteral was well controlled; however, the triglycerides were another matter. I started taking 1000 nonprescription Fish Oil capsules, w/o know how much to take. When I informed my endocrinologist, he told me to take as close to 4000 IU. Within 6 mos, trigs were normal. Labs are done by both Endocrinologist and primary care ever 2-3 mos.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

try the q
I've been taking CoQ10 200mg every night since being on statins.It helps me with muscle aches caused by the statins without any side ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.