Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Does High Cholesterol Cause Lower Libido?
Lainey_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hello community!

Many people know that being overweight can cause your sex drive to go down but what about high cholesterol? WebMD's article looks at some common medical conditions that can cause libido problems. When a Man's Sex Drive Is Too Low .

Consider also that statins may lower testosterone. WebMD looks into how Statins May Lower Testosterone, Libido .

Has high cholesterol caused libido issues for you?

Do you feel using statins cause lower libido?

This is a debate thread. Those of you not interested in debate—please ignore the thread. Those of you participating in the debate, remember to attack the argument not the person.

bobby75703 responded:
The second article "statins may lower testosterone" speculates the cause of low testosterone is statins interfering with the feedback from the pituitary to the testicles.

That would be extremely easy to confirm. Lutenizing hormone (LH) is the chemical signal from the pituitary that causes the testicles to produce more testosterone. Either LH is low in the statin group, or its not.

LDL Cholesterol is needed for the production of testosterone. Statins cut LDL cholesterol levels. The body now has less LDL cholesterol to make testosterone.

Loss of Libido is not something most people are comfortable talking about publicly. This is why I think the problem is far more widespread than we realize.

My guess: For every 1000 people who encounter loss of libido from a statin, at best only 1 out of 1,000 are bold enough to get on the internet and share their experience in a forum.

Bottom line: Yes, I believe statins lower libido in certain individuals. How can it not? Statins delete the main ingredient needed to make testosterone, Cholesterol.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to bobby75703's response:
Thanks Bobby, I agree with being a difficult subject for some to speak openly about and felt that we could have a discussion for those that will look these search terms up on WebMD. If someone is having trouble with libido they should rule out everything including medication, and weight.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

statins
I stopped Crestor for 33 days. my lipids were: [br>TC 139 [br>HDL 35 [br>TRG 126 [br>LDL/HDL 2.3 [br>GLU 88 ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.