Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
cholesterol levels
dhollins posted:
Can anyone tell me who's resposible for coming up with the numbers used in cholesterol levels?? I was told it was the pharmaceutical companies. If this is the case, I can understand why my doctor keeps pushing pills on me each time I go in for a visit.

toneman84084 responded:
Sorry if this gets posted twice, couldn't tell if my first attempt went through.

These are set by the National Lung, Blood and Heart Institute which manges the National Cholesterol Education Program. The NHLBI is part of the National Institute of Health which is managed by the US Department of Health and Human Services.

Some one will be coming along soon to tell you that most of the doctors on the NCEP are corrupt because they have accepted honorariums for research work they have done at one time on behalf of the big drug companies and have set the levels so that the big drug companies can line their pockets, which is ridiculous. Ask them to prove the bias, they can't.

The real issue with your post is that you feel your doctor is pushing pills. If you feel that way, do the research and get a second opinion if necessary so you can make your own decision, no doctor can force you to take a med you don't want to take. You can easily find plenty of information on meds and cholesterol levels along with alternative treatments, it's up to you, not your doctor.

Hope this helps,

Tony

farsidexyz responded:
The financial disclosure statements of the people who created the current cholesterol levels can be found here

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/cholesterol/atp3upd04_disclose.htm

Note the close ties they have with the drug companies -- Pfizer, Merck, IVAX Pharmaceuticals, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson -- that produce statins.

The ties encompass the following: honoraria fees from the companies, research grants from the companies, unrestricted institutional grants from the companies, consultant appointments from the companies, speakers for the companies, and ownership of stock in the companies.

toneman84084 replied to farsidexyz's response:
And there we are. Please show us how any of this is proof of a biased decision and not just conjecture on your part. Are you able to be objective towards any company you may have worked for or anyone that has every paid you a dime in the past? I can and I'm sure these doctors can as well. Your statement would imply that the Federal Government is also allowing this to happen and is part of some big cover up. Do you really think they are not aware of this and have been monitoring the matter all along?

Why do you think they're on the board? Because they have been involved with cholesterol and statins since the their inception.

So again I ask you, please prove this statement and if you have no proof to back up what you say, that is a hard fact some one has made a decision based on their past, then please call it what it is, your opinion and nothing more.

toneman84084 responded:
As I told you, some one would come along and try to discredit the NCEP, it's so very predictable. These doctors have nothing to gain by setting goals for cholesterol levels that are artificially low, none of them would risk their careers but some see these financial connections and put 2 2 together and come up with 5.

As I stated earlier, do the research, learn about cholesterol levels and what statins can do to help. If you don't want to take them, don't. Find a doctor that will use a different treatment, it's up to you.

Tony

bobby75703 responded:
Bumped into this today. Thought it was fitting for this thread and the OP's question.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/medical-conflicts-interest-disaster-patients/story?id=13060973

toneman84084 replied to bobby75703's response:
Interesting read, but again like so many articles like this, they leave the reader wanting more. The author is giving his opinion, which is appreciated, but how about some facts and names to back up his claims. If he is so sure about what he writes, why not include some examples of companies and doctors so it could be investigated.

As you and I have said before, you look at anything and you'll see the opportunity for bias.

bobby75703 replied to toneman84084's response:
Looks like the day is coming soon when payments from industry to physicians are to be disclosed. Change appears to be on the horizon.
http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/Stories/2010/April/26/physician-payment-disclosures.aspx

bobby75703 replied to bobby75703's response:
The Physicians Payment Sunshine Act

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O5lb864j2c

toneman84084 replied to bobby75703's response:
I'm all for full disclosure, it will certainly make people think twice before accepting money. However, paid honorariums do not always equate to bias which has always been my point, as I'm sure you know.

Also, I knew you could stay away long:)

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Lower Cholesterol by changing my chemical balance - eating habits
With a history of heart disease in my family (father), I was all to aware of the need to keep my numbers under control. A few years ago, I ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 32 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!