Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Interactive USA Map of Heart Disease
bobby75703 posted:
Found this cool interactive map of the USA depicting death rates from heart disease by State. Mouse over each state for State rates.

http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparemaptable.jsp?ind=77&cat=2

Bobby

Sir_Porangi responded:
That's real good data far better than any stock holder driven drug trial.

With 260 people per 100,000 at the top rate of deaths along with considering all causes of heart disease like poverty smoking junk food booze illict drugs pollution and very old age this data certainly makes a cholesterol number pale into extreme insignificance.

toneman84084 replied to Sir_Porangi's response:
Actually, that statement is not the correct way to look at this. The highest rates of heart disease are in the southern states which also have the lowest rate of medical insurance and fewer people see a doctor on a regular basis. In addition, they have the worst diet in the country made up of fried foods. All of which would lead one to believe that there is considerable amount of heart disease not being treated, including high cholesterol.

this chart in fact would support that cholesterol is a major risk factor for heart disease.

bobby75703 responded:
With Mississippi taking first place for the state with the highest death rates from heart disease at around 260 per 100,000, thats nothing compared to the Ukraine where death rates hover around 800 per 100,000.

I wonder how cholesterol levels differ between Mississippi and Ukraine.

I wonder if the Ukraine has the same obesity problems Mississippi does.

What is it that makes Ukraine a place with such high rates of heart disease, it makes Mississippi look healthy?

toneman84084 replied to bobby75703's response:
My guess would be that there is LESS health care in the Ukraine than even in Mississippi. Less treatment, more heart disease. Ukraine is a shell of a country with very little existing infrastructure.

bobby75703 replied to toneman84084's response:
You may be right.

I am searching for Data on three places.

1. Ukraine because its death rates from heart disease is one of the highest in the world

2. Mississippi because it has the highest death rates in the US from heart disease.

3. Minnesota because it has the lowest death rates from heart disease in the US.

It would be interesting to compare data between these 3 places. Lifestyles, obesity, cholesterol levels, smoking, air pollution, etc. This may take a while to put together.

bobby75703 replied to bobby75703's response:
Death rates from Heart Disease per 100,000.

Minnesota: 129 (USA lowest)

Mississippi: 266 ( USA highest)

Ukraine: 890 ( One of world's highest )

Those are drastic differences. WHY?

I think this quote says it all;

The standard of healthcare in Ukraine is extremely neglected with a severe lack of medical facilities and medicines. Some of the medical staff are highly trained, but some have only completed half of the training required. The healthcare is in an extremely poor state.

Here's the link. I can understand why the death rate from heart disease is so high. My guess is very few get medical attention to prevent CAD and those with it have little or no chance of surviving a heart attack;

http://www.europe-cities.com/en/633/ukraine/health/?page=2

I would agree with you. I think there is no question health care here in the states is better.

The big question in my mind is, with numbers like that there is obviously a higher incidence of heart disease in Ukraine. So I am curious WHY they get the condition in such high rates.

WHO website shows Ukraine smoking rates as follows:

Male 64%
Female 24%

Who website shows Ukraine Obesity 2008 as follows:

Male 15%
Female 24%

It could be as simple as those with CAD or with risk factors for CAD here get better preventative treatment than is possible in the Ukraine. I would think that CAD is a "death sentence" in the Ukraine where it is a treatable, chronic condition here, even in Mississippi.

Ukraine was one of the countries included in my personal geographic comparison study I did a several years ago.

I remember noting Ukraine's very high death rates from heart disease, but its total cholesterol levels as reported by WHO didn't look any different than the rest of the world.

It was the fact Ukrainians didn't have elevated cholesterol that caught my eye, yet they suffered from heart disease significantly more than most the world.

There is no doubt we have better health care available in Mississippi than in Ukraine. You are right about that.

We also have better healthcare in Mississippi than on the ice packs of rural Greenland, yet the Greenland Eskimos had extremely low incidence of heart disease.

SOMETHING is causing Ukrainians to develop heart disease at a higher rate despite the level of health care.

Exploring Ukraine I am learning its the eastern side of the country with heavy industry.

Just learned about burning "Slag heaps" in Ukraine. I never heard of this before. Now I have.

http://www.rferl.org/content/Ukraine_Region_Looks_To_Kyiv_For_Pollution_Help/1988068.html

" Residents of a heavily polluted area in eastern Ukraine say they're hoping for help from President Viktor Yanukovych...

...The province of Luhansk, one of Ukraine's most industrialized eastern regions, has more than 500 slag heaps, the result of decades of coal mining...

...the smoking heaps are releasing sulfuric anhydride, hydrogen sulfide, nitrogen dioxide, and other harmful gases....

..."Such a concoction of gases is harmful to humans. It's harmful for all life"

Here is a brief statement from Britannica concerning air pollution in Ukraine.

"Some of the most polluted areas of the world are now found there....The coal burning industries of eastern Ukraine, which emit high levels of sulfur dioxide, hydrocarbons, and dust, have created severe air pollution throughout the region"

Cholesterol levels in Ukraine are not higher than the rest of the world, yet they suffer heart disease more than the rest of the world.

Could the high levels of air pollution be responsible for high rates of cardiovascular disease?

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

try the q
I've been taking CoQ10 200mg every night since being on statins.It helps me with muscle aches caused by the statins without any side ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.