Skip to content
Up date on my high cholesterol
Ladyzemog posted:
Three months ago I went to the doctors for a check-up. To my surprise I found out that my total cholesterol was 271, LDL 187,Trigs 154, and HDL 53. Had my cholesterol checked again and in 3 months time I was able to bring my LDL to 129, Trigs 92, and HDL 46. I am by no means an expert in this area and I'm still learning so much. I just want to encourage anyone that they should at least try to lower there cholesterol before going on medicine. I was able to accomplish this by not going out to eat so much, eating whole grains, fruits, veggies, and excersising. I have been reading Cholesterol Down by Janet Bond Brill, Ph.D., R,D.,LDN and it has been very helpful. Still reading the book, but does anyone have any tips on how to increase my omega 3 in my diet?

billh99 responded:
, but does anyone have any tips on how to increase my omega 3 in my diet?

You get it most in "oily" fish. The general recommendation of fish is 2 to 3 servings a week.

For fish or krill oil it is 500 to 1000 mg of Omega 3's per day. You need to read the back of the label for the total of EPA and DHA Omega 3's. The label might say 1000 mg of "fish oil", but the back indicates only 300 mg of omega 3's.

There are non-animal sources there is some in nuts. Flax seed is the most common source. Note that it must be ground and kept in the refrigerator after opening the package.

Note that vegetable sources of Omega 3's are in the form of ALA and the body has to convert it. It is not known how effecient the body is in doing the conversion.

Here is a list of sources.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid#Dietary_sources

High levels of Omega 3's (4-5 grams used to treat high trigs) will raise HDL, but also LDL.

But there are enough variables. I just went from 1 gram to 4 gram fish oil for dry eyes.

And my HDL went from 59 to 61 and the LDL from 71 to 61. But I had only been on the extra fish oil for 2 weeks before the cholesterol so I don't know if it had the full effects.

BTW, I would not bother with foods with "added" Omega 3's. That includes things like margarine and eggs. In general the amounts are very small.

Ladyzemog replied to billh99's response:
Thanks for the information every little bit helps. Going to check out your list of sources. Let the reading begin :0

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Ladyzemog's response:
Just posted on WebMD's Facebook page:

Slideshow: The Truth About Omega-3, the Good Fat

Some good information and pretty pictures too!

Haylen

justmejust responded:
Good job, thanks for sharing!

Anon_51772 responded:
Ladyzemog,

great job getting your total cholesterol and your LDL and Trigs each down by 60 points in 3 months time. I am going to get that book and eat more whole foods and exercise more.

Did you have any white carbs during this time, even a slip up?

Ladyzemog replied to Anon_51772's response:
I must say that in moderation I have had white carbs. I'm also trying to learn to bake healthier by substituting some of the ingredients. I have four guinea pigs at home who I can experiment with and they will hold nothing back. So, I must get creative somehow.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

asea
has anyone tried asea? It helped my liver cysts. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.