Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Do I need to Lower LDL if HDL is very good?
shannon9585 posted:
I just got my cholesterol tested and here's what my numbers look like:
Total =246
HDL = 99
LDL = 134
Triglycerides = 63

My doctor stated that my total is high, but that is OK since my HDL levels (which are very good) compensate for that. Based on those numbers, should I be working on lowering my LDL?

I already eat a very healthy diet, but I could probably exercise a little more. I tend to exercise less in the winter because I like to be outdoors.

Will getting more exercise lower my LDL? How much should I worry overall, since my HDL and Triglycerides are in the "ideal" range? Are some people just predisposed to higher LDL levels?

(If it helps at all, I'll add that I'm a 26 year old female.)

shannon9585 responded:
Also, both of my parents have high cholesterol (I don't know exactly what their numbers are), which is why I ask if I may be predisposed to having a higher LDL level.

billh99 responded:
On the surface your numbers don't look too bad. An HDL of over 60 is protective.

And HDL of 130-159 are borderline high.

100-129 is near ideal

But if you have risk factor then 70-100 (ideal) is recommended and even below 70 for some.

If your parents or grandparent has early (<55 men, 65< for women), high blood pressure, or diabetes then those are risk factors.

If you are not sure you might want to ask your doctor for an advanced lipid (VAP, NMR, or Berkly). It has been found that more then just the level of the LDL and HDL is more the size or count of the particles. A large number of dense cholesterol is more dangerous than a small number of buoyant LDL although both will have the same LDL measurement.

Likewise some HDL is "defective" and not as protective.

VAP and NMR are available through the nation labs (Quest and LabCorp),

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Lower Cholesterol by changing my chemical balance - eating habits
With a history of heart disease in my family (father), I was all to aware of the need to keep my numbers under control. A few years ago, I ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 32 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!