Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
CHOLESTEROL CONTROL
HDLADY2011 posted:
I am taking 40 MG of Simavastin daily for my high cholesterol.... Is is safe to take Flax seed oil along with the meds?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

billh99 responded:
AFAIK there should not be any problem. I take ground flax seedsalong with 40 mg of simavastin. Both my PCP and cardiologist know about it and have not said anything.

If you are taking the flax seed oil for Omega 3's it contains ALA. Which the body has to convert. All of the research has been on Fish oil which has EPA and DHA forms of Omega 3's.

It is not known how well the body converts the ALA.

The general recommendation is for 500 to 1000 mg of EPA DHA a day.

Note you need to look at the back of the label to find that. It is less the mg of Fish Oil shown on the front.

HDLADY2011 replied to billh99's response:
IT SAYS 1000 MG doesnt say anything about less the mg of fish oil anywhere

underglaze replied to HDLADY2011's response:
My salmon oil soft gels say 500 mg each Daily dose is 6 caps and the Supplement Facts on the back of the bottle say 3,000 mg sockeye salmon oil; omega 3 600 mg; EPA 240 mg; DHA 220 mg.

Need magnifying glass to read some labels. Your label should give a breakdown like mine does.

An_242785 responded:
All I can say is that you need to read the label on your simvastatin. I was taking it for 10 years and just recently found out that in Nov 2010 the label was changed to add new precautions. One of them is interstitial lung disease. My husband is dying of interstitial lung disease caused from a medicine. It's not pretty.

bobby75703 replied to An_242785's response:
An-242785,

I am very sorry to hear about your husband.

Recently, a popular physician with one of the major TV networks made a comment about statins. He mentioned statins coming onto the market in 1987. Plus his comment " It takes this long to learn all the potential risks of a drug."

The take home message I get from the doctor's comments is the first 25 years of a new drug is experimental.

For several years I have been posting on this web community sounding the alarm about the risks associated with statin use.
My sole purpose for being here is to prevent what has happened to your husband from happening to others.

Bobby

Isaidit replied to bobby75703's response:
How are you going to stop this from happening to others? Are you also going to take a stand against NSAIDs as they are much more damaging as statins? Are you finally admitting that your purpose here is to get others to stop using their prescribed medicine because you know better as a bartender than a trained medical professional? You do not and you are not in a position to save the world from statins, a drug you have never taken and never experienced either the benefits or the risks. You can step off your pedestal now.

An_242785, very sorry to hear of your husband's troubles, it is indeed a tragedy. This is not a new discovery, it was actually first reported in 2007. Form 1987 until January of 2007 there were 162 reported cases of ILD from the possible use of statins. Your husband's reaction is very, very rare and most regrettable. The numbers mean nothing when it happens to you do they?

bobby75703 replied to Isaidit's response:
A bartender has one clear cut advantage. He isn't entertained by big pharma.

Nor are the vast majority of doctors and to make people feel their doctors are influenced to the point of risking their patients health is not a good idea. You are a bartender, you did not go to medical school, you did not do the work yet you feel qualified to tell us that you know more about what is good for us as a bartender, I don't think so. You have never even taken a statin, you have not been effected or helped by one, you have no right to tell others to stop taking them.

A doctor has one clear cut advantage over a bartender, a degree and the two letters "MD" behind their name.

Here you go, a list of 12 dangerous drugs. You can save the world from the other 11 when you're done with statins.;

http://www.life-sources.com/pages/The-12-most-Dangerous-Prescription-Drugs....html

Please, save us all.................

Reminds me of Pearl Harbor. Warnings were sent out by the lower ranks. But nobody listened.

bobby75703 replied to bobby75703's response:
Once again, history repeats itself...

That is the silliest comparison I have ever heard. You can play doctor, pretend you are on a doctor's level when it comes to real world, education, hands on training and experience if you want, but you are a bartender that reads Internet articles and cries wolf, nothing more. I don't know why you insist that you are more than that Bobby, you are not.

I have been reading your warnings for years, NONE of them have come true. Statins have not been shown to be evil drugs whose sole intention is to make money for investors. Nor have they been found to be dangerous. There are no new developments that we didn't already know in the 90's, just nothing. Why don't you read that list of drugs I posted, if you are as valiant as you want people here to believe, work your way down the list. You have so many lives to save.

By soldiers trained to identify real world risks, like doctors. They were not bartenders.

...But nobody listened. The higher ranks were too busy being entertained at the Officers Club to take notice of impending attack. Warnings were dismissed.

Sound familiar? It should. 25 years ago a bright cardiologist warned of the upcoming tragedy with statins. Nobody listened. They were too busy being entertained by big pharma.

Have a good night Tony. I'm calling it a day.

Bobby

Not Tony, sorry. You are still Bobby and still trying to play doctor. Why are you obsessed with Tony and what he's doing? Others feel the same way Bobby. You want to talk to Tony, go to Medhelp and talk to him.

Also, there has been no tragedy from statins as predicted 25 years ago. What has transpired is that statins have been proven to do exactly what they were designed to do. Again you throw a vague useless statement out there about some doctor making some prediction with nothing to back up your point.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Cholesterol
If i am trying to lower my cholesterol should i be looking at the fat or cholesterol in food? More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.