Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lowering Cholesterol
Vbeee posted:
Dr. Esselstyn wrote a book called Reversing Heart Disease where he states that you can lower your cholesterol by your diet. If you eat a plant based diet that does not have added fat you can have a healthy cholesterol. My cholesterol dropped 18 points after being on the diet 10 days. I am shooting for 150 mg overall.

bobby75703 responded:
Yes, pursue a healthy diet by all means, but will it prevent or reverse heart disease?

People with cholesterol levels of 150 or less can still develop heart disease. I know of a guy with cholesterol of 147 all his life. Unfortunately that didn't prevent it from happening to him.

I do encourage you to eat a healthy plant based diet. Just keep in mind people who do are not immune from growing artery plaque, or having heart attacks and strokes.

I recently read a detailed medical research paper that concluded vegetarians are 24% less likely to develop heart disease.

I just didn't want you to get your hopes up that switching to a plant based diet was a cure-all for heart disease.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

shannon9585
Shannon, when I have looked thru my lab test hard copies, I saw that the lab techs had divided the hdl -good- cholesterol value into the ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 4 found this helpful