Skip to content
the Conscience
An_243427 posted:

I am 61 year old man, with a family history of cholesterol, and have had 4 stents placed in my heart due to plaque. After my first hospital stay, I began to research into my specific problem as to why plaque was building up in my arteries. I discovered that the problem with plaque build up is not so much the fat in my blood. Its was that my homosystein levels were excessively high. And of course any ridiculous levels of fat are not acceptable, but we need some fat for other functions of the body and organs.

High homosystein levels will create a acidic environment in the blood that slowly eats away at the slickly inner wall of the arteries. Once that slick lining has been eaten away, plaque begins to stick to that area, otherwise there wouldn't be anything else to stick to. I've been given all the statins available, only to reduce my cholesterol levels by 1%. At the exchange of the muscle aches they produce for me it's not worth it especially when some alternatives haven't been given a chance.

So I have been taking 800 mcg of Folic acid once a day and 500 mg of Niacin twice per day, and dropped my homosystein levels down with in normal range. Folic acid for homosystein, and Niacin for triglicerites. Its a start. O course regular exercise and diet is the best way to go. It helped me and it may work for you. Please consult your doctor first. If he is not holistic in his practice he will not know when you ask him, and then he might. God Bless All.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Healthy Snack
In order to help my cholesterol numbers, I have switched to more cholesterol friendly snacks, such as raw almonds. More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.