Skip to content
Measuring the risk of harm and good in drug trials
bobby75703 posted:
The following short video is a demonstration showing the difference between RELATIVE RISK and ABSOLUTE RISK, so everyone can understand how statin drug companies inflate the benefits in the consumer's mind, making the drug appear better than it really is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyqrcb3bYYM

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Thanks Bobby. Interesting information.

At the end of the day, it's important for a patient to have a good relationship with their doctor to discuss the pros and cons of any medical treatment or medication.

Haylen

bobby75703 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Haylen, I agree 100% its very important for a patient to have a good relationship with their Doctor. I loved my endocrinologist and I'm sorry she moved her practice out of town.

Concerning discussing pros and cons of cholesterol lowering drugs. Will physicians say to a patient "For every 120 patients who take this drug, only one will be spared a heart attack."

Somehow I can't picture it. But that is what it would take to be upfront with a patient on the absolute performance of the drug.

Would a physician openly discuss the potential risks if asked?

Probably depends on the doctor.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Healthy Snack
In order to help my cholesterol numbers, I have switched to more cholesterol friendly snacks, such as raw almonds. More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.