Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Cholesterol-lowering drugs can cause Amnesia!
Katz4U posted:
The following Cholesterol-lowering drugs are now linked with causing Amnesia in some patience. the drugs mentioned in the People's Pharmacy paper - said that the FDA is now acknowledging that the following drugs can cause Amnesia -- atrovastatin, lovastatin, pravastatin and simvastatin -- ---
My question is what other types of GENERIC CHOLESTEROL-LOWERING DRUGS ARE YOU USING??? I am pre-disposed to high cholesterol and it has nothing to do with my diet.... now what?
Any Advice for me...

Take the Poll

what other types of medicines are out there to lower cholesterol other than the following atrovastatin, lovastatin, pravastatin and simvastatin -- all FDA warning now concurring that it can cause Amnesia and has caused that in me very baddly.
  • new medicine I can take....
  • Alternative non-drug meds but I have tried many and didn't help
vote
View Poll Results

bobby75703 responded:
Cognitive problems with cholesterol lowering statin drugs have been known by many for a long time. Only now has the FDA issued the warning.

This should not be surprising. The brain is comprised mostly of fats and cholesterol. Cholesterol plays a vital role in nerve function in the brain. The brain is the one organ most dependent on cholesterol to function properly, depending upon roughly 20% of your body's cholesterol supply.

bobby75703 replied to bobby75703's response:
Following is a scientific paper describing cholesterol's healthy function in the nervous system and brain.

Cholesterol Allows Nerve Cells to Make Contact:
http://www.mdc-berlin.de/en/news/archive/2001/20011108-cholesterol_allows_nerve_cells_to_make_con/index.html

billh99 responded:
You might want to look at the actual data.

It is fairly rare.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2012/02/29/how-rare-are-statin-related-memory-issues/

[blockquote>The Applicant reported that 18 rosuvastatin-treated subjects versus 4 placebo-treated subjects experienced the AE of "confusional state". Six of the 18 confusional states in rosuvastatin-treated subjects were considered as a SAE. Two subjects were not on study medication at the time and others had concurrent medical conditions and/or medications ongoing at the time of the event
[/blockquote>So 18 patients out of a total of 8,901 reported having a confused state quadruple the number on placebo. (Two of the patients were not taking drug when the confusional state happened, but normally they'd be included in a safety analysis anyway to be conservative.) So although we're talking about quadrupling of risk of becoming extremely confused, Crestor would have only caused this side effect in 0.16% of patients.

bobby75703 replied to billh99's response:
I would agree with Bill that confusional state and out right amnesia is rare.

However, many of my personal contacts who have taken statins have reported poor memory. While that's a far cry from amnesia, Its a larger number of people affected to the lesser degree.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Vit D reduces muscle pain from Statin
While the data is still mixed there is an indication that many people who get Myalgia (muscle pain) while on a statin suffer from low ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.