Skip to content
High Trigylcerides - low HDL, optimal LDL
An_244388 posted:
Hi, i did a fasting lipid test for the first time in my life and i was shocked to see my trigylcerides came out way too high . 399 was the actual number.
age 34

my hdl was 36 and ldl was 99.
my height is 5'9, weight is 195 pounds. i must admit that it has increased over 20 pounds over 1 year period.
used to be ~175 pounds.

i used to 195, 4 years ago, came down to 175 in 3 years by cardio , and eating light food for dinner but never did a lipid test, so i dont have numbers to compare to.

what could be some of the reasons and what are some of the treatment options.?

the doc has asked me to come in next week for a discussions. i want to avoid medications t.

ps.. 13hrs before my blood draw, i had one cup of icecream.. would that make a big difference?

billh99 responded:
ps.. 13hrs before my blood draw, i had one cup of icecream.. would that make a big difference?

Probably not just the ONE, but frequent ones, over time will.

Losing weight, exercise and a healthy diet will go a long way to improving that profile.

While cardo is important you also want to do some resistance exercise. Resistance exercise help build lean muscle mass which burns more calories.

The Dash or the Mederitrainan diet is a good place to start.

The basics are to eliminated any transfats, reduce saturated fats, but get a moderate amount of good fats, such as olive oil, fatty fish, avocados and nuts.

And eat lean proteins.

Lots of fruits and veggies.

But try and eliminated refined carbs such as white flour products and sugars of all types.

A prescription version of Omega 3 is used for treating high trig. And if you don't eat a lot of cold water fatty fish (salmon and tuna or the most common) you can take omega 3 fish oil pills.

bobby75703 responded:
I don't think one cup of ice cream 13 hours before the test is likely to effect it. After 13 hours those calories would be metabolized.

I had great success at doubling my HDL by avoiding wheat and other refined carbs, and consuming steak and eggs. It shocked me how this improved my ratios.

A cardiologist told me low fat = low HDL. Also another advised dropping grains to raise HDL. I can't speak for anyone else, but this program worked for me.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

asea
has anyone tried asea? It helped my liver cysts. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.