Skip to content
The Debate over Statins
bobby75703 posted:
With the recent FDA warnings on statins, the debate over their safety has heated up. Some say they are risky, others say their safe. So who do we listen to?

The best information will always be from an unbiased source. The definition of unbiased being no commercial interest in the product being sold.

When there is a commercial interest, Its perfectly natural to exaggerate the benefits and downplay the pitfalls. It doesn't matter what product or service is being sold, its just human nature.

So how can we know if someone has a commercial interest?

With a used car salesman its obvious. But other scenarios are not always obvious to the consumer.

What about the media? Statin manufacturers have been TV media's best clients paying millions $$ for prime time TV ads. So yes there is a financial relationship between the networks and the drug companies. But we forget or just don't think about it.

What about the FDA? The person on the FDA could be a stockholder in the company that sells the product.

What about a Doctor? The Doctor could have a financial relationship with statin manufacturers, but even if he doesn't directly have a relationship with drug companies, he still has a commercial interest as statins are an integral part of the services he is offering- lowering cholesterol.

A welder will be partial to his torch. After all it is his living. Say anything negative about his torch and yes he will defend it.

So the best source for accurate data is from someone with excellent knowledge of the product, but has no commercial interest whatsoever. This is where all of us will find the truth.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Excellent points made Bobby. Thanks for exploring this important issue in more detail.

Knowledge is power -

Haylen

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

LOWERING CHOLESTEROL NATURALLY
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET MY CHOLESTEROL DOWN WITHOUT STATINS AND FINALLY I AM GETTING SOMEWHERE. I STARTED TAKING PANTETHINE 300 MG. TWICE ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.