Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Child with high tc
    Cboyuk78 posted:
    Hi I'm new to this form. We went and saw our family doctor today and she told me that my 12 year old son has high tc. I'm trying to find out more info about it .here are his numbers -TC 5.6 LDL 3.29 HDL 106 TG 2.75 .my son does weigh a lot he is 133lbs , any info on his number or what to do would be so great. My doctor also told me to cut out a lot of meat .please any help will help out. Thank you vary much

billh99 responded:
    I am converting the your mmol/l readings to mg/dl which is used in the US.

TC - 217
    LDL - 127
    HDL (I am assuming that the reading was 1.06) - 41
    TG - 244

Personally I would be more concerned about the triglycerides.

Here is a good starting point.
    http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/guide/cholesterol-basics

In many cases this can be changed with life style changes.

Nothing with transfats.

And eliminate as much refined carbohydrates as possible. That includes sugar and while flour and any products made with them (soft drinks, pasteries, white bread).

For meet you can still have beef, but limit to the leaner cuts. But get most of the protein from chicken, fish, non-fat dairy, and plants.

LOTS of fruits and veggies.

Regular exercise.

And lose weight if needed.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Bill is right - exercise will help!

Here is a link that might provide some helpful information:

Tips for Getting Your Child Off the Couch

Also, you can find great recipes here that are meatless or use turkey, chicken and fish:

WebMD Health & Cooking

You're being a great parent to help your child now and set good habits for life - the whole family can get healthier along with him!

Haylen

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Statin use is generally safe, and NOT associated with cancer and myopathy
    This network meta-analysis study provides evidence on the comparative tolerability and harms of individual statins. Overall, statins as a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.