Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
The Physical Benefits of Cholesterol
bobby75703 posted:
Unless someone has a background in Physiology, most people walking the street today have no knowledge of the physical benefits of cholesterol.

This is understandable, since the public has been bombarded for several decades with a negative image of cholesterol, its no wonder few people understand its importance in good health.

Cholesterol is a cell builder. Its used to give cells their structural integrity. Take cholesterol out of the cell and you weaken the cell membrane. A recent study at Texas A&M showed people with higher LDL cholesterol levels built muscle faster.

Cholesterol is needed to make testosterone. All our steroid and adrenal hormones are manufactured in the body from cholesterol. Our most important sex hormone, testosterone, is made from cholesterol.

Cholesterol is needed by the brain. The brain is the one organ most dependent upon cholesterol to function properly. Roughly 20% of your body's supply of cholesterol is needed for brain function. Its so important that the brain even churns out its own cholesterol to help keep your body's "computer" functioning properly.

Cholesterol is needed for proper nerve function. Our nerves are coated with a protective layer called the Myelin Sheath. This serves the same purpose as the vinyl insulation on wires. Cholesterol helps build this protective layer on our nerves, helping with smooth nerve function.

Cholesterol helps us digest our food. Cholesterol helps form the bile acids we need for proper digestion of food.

Most people I talk to are surprised to discover cholesterol has positive roles in good health. These are bright people with degrees and good jobs, yet they were unaware.

Could there be an economic motive behind the Villain image cast upon cholesterol?

How good of a job has the National Cholesterol Education Program done in educating the public about cholesterol?

bhrlocal responded:
Excellent, cogent article. Cui bono (who benefits) by demonizing cholesterol? Let me see, could it be Big Pharma?

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Lower cholesterol without drugs
I also had cholesterol numbers that kept inching higher. At 237 my dr. suggested meds. I don't want to go that route so took a good look at ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 18 found this helpful