Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
High LDL, total cholesterol, HDL but normal triglycerides
datredhed posted:
I am a 53yr. old female with the following numbers (numbers from one year ago in parenthesis): LDL: 143 (106); Total Cholesterol: 221 (173); HDL: 79 and Triglycerides: 94. Height: 5 1/2" Weight: 125lbs.
I exercise 4-5 days/week alternating between cardio and free weights; sometimes do both during an exercise period. I follow Weight Watchers, but mostly eat salads, fruits and legumes (the occasional red meat). I drink nearly 3 liters of water/day. I take nutraceuticals and vitamins, but am also on eye drops for glaucoma (managed well) as well as Wellbutrin, Luvox (OCD) and Valtrex (shingles). I don't smoke but do drink - primarily red wine, occasionally beer. Why are my LDL and total cholesterol numbers high?? I don't know what to do. I will NOT go on any prescribed medications unless it becomes absolutely necessary. I eat healthy foods - no saturated fats, no trans fats unless sneaks by me in a food that I missed. My workouts are intermediate to advanced and last about 25-30 minutes. Any ideas? It is frustrating. My mother and father had high cholesterol later in life, but to my knowledge not in their 50's!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
There are things you cannot change when it comes to cholesterol - this might be what is causing your high numbers. These factors include:

Family history. If high cholesterol runs in your family, you may have it, and it may be harder to treat.
Age and gender. After age 20, cholesterol levels naturally rise. In men, cholesterol levels often level off after age 50. In women, cholesterol levels stay fairly low until menopause. After that, they rise to about the same level as in men.

You might want to try working with a dietician - there are some diet modifications that might help lower your numbers.

Also, keep in mind that high cholesterol readings do not mean you are not in great health. It sounds like you have a very healthy lifestyle - keep it up!

Haylen

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

shannon9585
Shannon, when I have looked thru my lab test hard copies, I saw that the lab techs had divided the hdl -good- cholesterol value into the ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 4 found this helpful