Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My Cholesterol is too LOW
kinden25 posted:
I had my blood tests done this year, and the results were pretty close to last year. My total cholesterol is too low. As a result my HDL is too low also. How can I raise my HDL without lowering my total Cholesterol? Should I be concerned that my colesterol is too low? It was 107 last year, and is 119 this year.

bobby75703 responded:
You are correct. Your total cholesterol is too low. Total cholesterol below 120 is considered hypolipidemia.

For myself, eliminating grains and consuming steak and eggs doubled my HDL. This took me by surprise, so I did some research. Sure enough, eggs have been shown to raise HDL.

Diets low in fat and high in refined carbs also lower HDL. I don't know what your diet is like, you didn't say.

billh99 responded:
Have you been diagnosed with low cholesterol?

According to this article you levels are historically normal.

http://content.onlinejacc.org/cgi/content/full/43/11/2142
"
Optimal low-density lipoprotein is 50 to 70 mg/dl Lower is better and physiologically normal"

Evidence from hunter-gatherer populations while
they were still following their indigenous lifestyles showed
no evidence for atherosclerosis, even in individuals living
into the seventh and eighth decades of life (15,16). These
populations had total cholesterol levels of 100 to 150 mg/dl
with estimated LDL cholesterol levels of about 50 to 75
mg/dl. The LDL levels of healthy neonates are even today
in the 30 to 70 mg/dl range.

billh99 responded:
PS. If you truly have hypolipidemia you need to read this and discuss it with your doctor.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine_and_metabolic_disorders/lipid_disorders/hypolipidemia.html

Hypolipidemia is a decrease in plasma lipoprotein caused by primary (genetic) or secondary factors. It is usually asymptomatic and diagnosed incidentally on routine lipid screening. Treatment of secondary hypolipidemia involves treating underlying disorders. Treatment of primary hypolipidemia is often unnecessary, but patients with some genetic disorders require high-dose vitamin E and dietary supplementation of fats and other fat-soluble vitamins.

bobby75703 replied to billh99's response:
I agree with the second article Bill posted from merck showing hypolipidemia being less than 120 total cholesterol.

kinden25 responded:
Thanks for your responses. My diet it normal I guess. I eat a pretty varied diet...sometime good, sometimes bad. I have talked to my doctor, and she says you can't have too low of cholesterol. The lower the better. What kind of a doctor would I go to? I did have half of my thyroid removed a couple of years ago, but my thyroid levels have remained fine with out meds. Could this cause low cholesterol?

Here is the breakdown:
LDL 52
HDL 49
Trig 89

billh99 replied to kinden25's response:
Assuming that your other labs numbers are normal, that you are of reasonable weight, have reasonable energy and endurance, and otherwise "well" I would not do anything.

bobby75703 replied to kinden25's response:
Kinden, with respect to thyroid. if a person has an overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism) that is one possible cause for low cholesterol.

If there were too much active T3 thyroid hormone in the blood, then this scenario could push a person's cholesterol down too low. Its easy to measure.

Concerning your Doctor's statement "You can't have too low cholesterol. The lower the better" I know many people, physicians, researchers, who would disagree.

Cholesterol plays very important roles in good health.
Building strong healthy muscles, steroid hormones, a healthy nervous system, and even helps form the bile acids we need to digest food.

Anyone who makes the statement "you can't have too low cholesterol" has yet to grasp basic human physiology.

Bobby

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Cholesterol
If i am trying to lower my cholesterol should i be looking at the fat or cholesterol in food? More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.