Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Red Yeast Rice and Mega Red Together?
KBarrena posted:
Hi there,

My father was diagnosed with high cholesterol; he eats healthy and is rather active and fit for a 55 y/o. He was on Lipitor and later switched to generic lipitor (simvastatin), he started getting really bad GI complications, so he stopped taking the simvastatin and has dramatically improved. He is no longer lethargic and his GI problems have reduced drastically. He just started taking Mega Red and Red Yeast Rice together, I was wondering if these two together have any severe side-effects or bad interactions we should be worried about.

*He takes both tablets right after he eats, once a day.

billh99 responded:
He was on Lipitor and later switched to generic lipitor (simvastatin),

Sivastatin is not a generic lipitor. It is a completely different statin.

Generic Lipitor, atorvastatin, is now available and the price has dropped DRASTICALLY in the last few weeks.

If he was doing good on Lipitor he should ask the doctor about going back on it.

No medical professional is active in this forum, but here are some of my comments.

There are several Mega Red products. The basic product, MegaRed? Omega-3 Krill Oil , only contain 74 mg of EPA & DHA Omega 3's.

The AHA recommends 500 mg of Omega's or 1000 mg if diagnosed with heart disease.

About the red yeast rice he should probably read the whole section, but note this part.
http://www.medicinenet.com/red_yeast_rice_and_cholesterol/page4.htm

Are there any precautions in consuming red yeast rice products? Not all red yeast rice products contain the same concentrations of the cholesterol-lowering ingredients. Moreover, it is illegal in the United States to sell red yeast rice products that contain more than trace amounts of cholesterol lowering substances. Therefore, the red yeast rice products that are available in the United States do not contain levels of cholesterol lowering substances that are likely to cause side effects. Nevertheless, certain products also may contain unacceptably high levels of an undesirable and toxic substance called citrinic acid.

rosienose responded:
Is it safe to use Red yeast Rice and Mega Red krill oil together

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

LOWERING CHOLESTEROL NATURALLY
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET MY CHOLESTEROL DOWN WITHOUT STATINS AND FINALLY I AM GETTING SOMEWHERE. I STARTED TAKING PANTETHINE 300 MG. TWICE ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 14 found this helpful