Skip to content
High cholesterol (LDL 320 and genetic)
320ldlhigh posted:
Recently found out my ldl level was so high. hdl was 110. I was shocked. I don't eat junk food, I'm not overweight, I do however smoke and have my fair share of alcohol. (Quit date 6/26.)
Now they want me to take Lipitor and I've been reading the stories on here telling of the side effects. I'm not a huge fan of taking anything that isn't natural. Heard about glucomannan and red yeast. Any suggestions out there appreciated. New to all of this and it's pretty scary. Thanks

billh99 responded:
I'm not a huge fan of taking anything that isn't natural.

Define natural?

For example you might say that grains of wheat on a stalk are natural. But few people go out in the field and pick the grains and chew them. To make bread the grains are ground and combined with yeast, water, and other ingredients and baked.

It is no longer wheat.

Glucomannan is a soluble fiber that made from the roots of some plants or the wood of conifers trees. It takes processing to get the glucomannan out of the root or tree.

That said, as a soluble fiber it should be helpful in controlling cholesterol. As does the fiber in oatmeal & apples.

A similar fiber is psyllium (Metamucil).

About red yeast rice;
http://www.medicinenet.com/red_yeast_rice_and_cholesterol/page4.htm

Are there any precautions in consuming red yeast rice products? Not all red yeast rice products contain the same concentrations of the cholesterol-lowering ingredients. Moreover, it is illegal in the United States to sell red yeast rice products that contain more than trace amounts of cholesterol lowering substances. Therefore, the red yeast rice products that are available in the United States do not contain levels of cholesterol lowering substances that are likely to cause side effects. Nevertheless, certain products also may contain unacceptably high levels of an undesirable and toxic substance called citrinic acid.

There is no standards or authority that tests or approves supplements.

bobby75703 responded:
There is nothing natural about blocking the mevalonate pathway, using Lipitor or red yeast rice.

Just curious. How high was your LDL?

bobby75703 replied to bobby75703's response:
Oh, I'm sorry, I see it now re reading your post.

bobby75703 responded:
Do you have artery disease?

SueUSA responded:
Try Flax seed oil it was recommended by a German doctor. Google it.

jjones777 replied to SueUSA's response:
Was the flax seed oil effective?

oldie70 responded:
have found that for me! the most natural pill for cholesterol is niacin i have taken it for years and have had no problems with high cholesterol.

hellonfish responded:
I am a non statin user because of the side effects. My doctor has recommended that I take 400mg epa/dha (fish oil) and 2grams of ALA omega 3(Alpha linoleic acid)daily. Clinical studies show that a combined effect of EPA-DHA plus ALA show a robust 54% reduction in cardiovascular events in non-statin users. Currently I am taking Chia for my ALA supplement and will be going back soon for my blood work, and like you my total cholesterol is very high.

Thrive55 replied to hellonfish's response:
Hello everyone, My doctor says that when LDL is a genetic thing only stains work. I am so afraid of stains, my liver enzymes went up. Please let me know if the fish oil and ALA works for you Hellonfish

Okiemomma2012 replied to hellonfish's response:
thank you so much for posting this. I have been on 3 different statin meds for the past two years and had horrible side effects with all of them. Sounds like there are other options out there.Will discuss this with doctor, but I am more hopeful now.

hellonfish replied to Okiemomma2012's response:
The study of ALA and fish oil came from American College of Cardiology foundation if your doctor askes.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Cholesterol Feeds Breast Cancer Cells
Wow! Increasing evidence demonstrates the role that cholesterol may play in the development and progression of breast cancer. ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.