Skip to content
Cholesterol levels vs. Heart Disease: State to State Comparison
bobby75703 posted:
Death rates from Heart Disease USA.

bobby75703 responded:
Looking at the above map it becomes obvious Mississippi has the higher death rates from Heart Disease, and Minnesota has the lowest of the 48 States.

From this Data one might assume Mississippi has higher cholesterol levels than Minnesota. However there is little to no difference in cholesterol levels between the two States.

In 2004 Quest Labs reports both States with 29% of the population testing with LDL greater than 130mg/dl. There was a small insignificant difference in total cholesterol.

When comparing populations, cholesterol levels can be the same, yet death rates from heart disease can vary significantly.

bobby75703 replied to bobby75703's response:
So which state had the highest cholesterol levels for the data period of this map? (2000-2006)

According to data from Quest labs, its was Montana that tested highest.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Lower cholesterol without drugs
I also had cholesterol numbers that kept inching higher. At 237 my dr. suggested meds. I don't want to go that route so took a good look at ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.