Skip to content
LDL 65, my MD wants me on Statins after VAP panel?
gp8818 posted:
My cholesterol numbers are: Total 121, LDL 65, HDL 41. My father had a heart attack and died at age 56, my brother had a heart attack at age 39. My brother's cholesterol was 194, LDL 130.

I am a vegan, I don't eat any oil of any kind and I exercise 6 times per week. I am not overweight, i have normal BP (115/75).

Yet my doctor says that he wants me to get a VAP panel and if the LDL numbers aren't where they should be, he wants me on Zocor (Simvastin).

Does that make sense to you?

Thanks for the advice

billh99 responded:
On the surface your lipid profile looks very good.

But you have a very strong family history of early heart disease.

Do you happen to know your father's lipid profile?

But standard lipid profile does not give the complete story on risk.

Some HLD is not a protective as others. And while your LDL is low. The risk is not in the amount of LDL, but rather the number of particles that contain LDL. You can have few large particles, each with lots of LDL, or many small particles each with a small amount of LDL.

The risk is in the number of particles rather than the total LDL.

So, with your strong family history, a test such as trhe VAP makes sense.

bobby75703 responded:
It doesn't make sense to me for you to go on a statin and induce hypolidema and all the health risks associated with it. Once your total cholesterol drops below 120, you will have hypolipidemia.

If your doctor wants to do a VAP test, let him do it. Then if anything needs to change, there are dietary things you can do to alter cholesterol particle sizes... without drugs.

For example, eliminating wheat in favor of oats will alter particle size for the better.

Keep in mind heart disease can happen at any cholesterol level. Half of heart attacks happen to people with high cholesterol, the other half happen to people with low cholesterol. This has led to the particle size/count theory.

Remember we still only have theories and risk factors. The underlying mechanism that causes heart disease has yet to be positively identified.

So whatever course of action you elect, its all based upon which theory you and your doctor subscribe to.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

succes story
10weeks Gemfibrozil/Simvastatin Trigs 709-97 Hdl 33-46 Ldl 161-86 total cholesterol 304-151 thanks veterans clinic youngstown More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 16 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.