Skip to content
Tuna Fish in Diet
lhellis posted:
Five years ago, I had a heart attack and had 6 stents installed. I found that my cholesterol numbers were high because I was only looking at the total number not the bad cholesterol number. about 5 years before the heart attack, I tried taking Lipitor 10m mg and had extremely bad leg pain and weakness within a month. I now take 5 mg of Crestor per day and eat a good diet and walk or bike most every day. My numbers are all good now but I am getting concerned about my diet of eating a tuna fish sandwich every day. Should I worry about getting too much mercury?

bobby75703 responded:
I do remember reading a case history years ago about someone who ate a tuna sandwich everyday for an extended period of time. I can't remember how long but, I think it was like a year or two. He did elevate his mercury levels which resulted in symptoms and a visit to the doctor, hence the medical report.

The very best thing is to have variety in your diet. Alaskan Salmon is very low in mercury and would be an excellent alternative.

lhellis replied to billh99's response:
Thank you for the reference.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to lhellis's response:
Hi lhellis - congrats on your healthy diet and exercise!

More details about fish here: Avoiding Mercury in Fish The article also contains links to FDA and EPA sites.

Seafood lovers might find this interesting: Fish Quiz: Fact or Fiction? Good information on fresh vs. frozen, health risks, I answered 12 out of 17 questions correctly - some of them I had to guess!

Haylen

lhellis replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
thank you for the info

anglican8888 responded:
What is the different function between Lipitor and Crestor ?

Why change ?

billh99 replied to anglican8888's response:
The function is the same. But they are different formulations.

Different people can react differently to them.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

succes story
10weeks Gemfibrozil/Simvastatin Trigs 709-97 Hdl 33-46 Ldl 161-86 total cholesterol 304-151 thanks veterans clinic youngstown More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 16 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.