Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How does the fat in foods affect cholesterol?
lhellis posted:
I closely watch the cholesterol levels in the foods I eat and fat levels but I have never understood how, if there is no or low cholesterol in something but has non-saturated fat in it - how does that affect the cholesterol in my blood? This is something I have never really understood. I know I need to keep my weight down.
Can anyone help me understand?

billh99 responded:
The body generates most of the cholesterol that it needs. While there is some variation from person to person in most cases the amount of cholesterol in the diet has only a very small effect on the cholesterol levels in the body.

In fact in Canada and European countries they don't have any restriction on eating eggs.

And cholesterol in the body is a very complex system with HDL, LDL, VLDL, and several other variations. And the cholesterol goes through several sequences of translations between the different forms. And the liver is in the center of translations.

And some saturated fats can block the receptors in the receptors in the liver that process the LDL, thus increasing the LDL levels in the blood.

There are a number of different types of saturated fat in the food chain. There is some indication that not all saturated fats are a problem. But I don't know of any definite reports that define which are which.

While I am not clear on how this work excess carbohydrates are converted in the body as fats (triglycerides). And triglycerides can affect the composition of the cholesterol particles.

bobby75703 responded:
Ihellis, One gram of fat has roughly 9 calories, while one gram of carbohydrate has roughly 4 calories.

Cholesterol can be lowered by cutting either fat or carbohydrate calories. Either way you're reducing calories which has a lipid lowering effect.

If a person eats an egg, which is high in cholesterol, the body will respond by making less cholesterol. But if a person goes hungry, the body will kick in and start producing more cholesterol to meet the body's need for cholesterol.

I experimented on myself. I cut out refined carbohydrates and consumed a diet high in steak and eggs. My diet was high in saturated fat and cholesterol. While my HDL went up, my LDL and total cholesterol remained unchanged.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Lower cholesterol without drugs
I also had cholesterol numbers that kept inching higher. At 237 my dr. suggested meds. I don't want to go that route so took a good look at ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 20 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.