Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
could losing weight change your cholesterol?
cherylhc50 posted:
I am new to this site so if I am posting a dumb question please let me know. When I had my blood panel taken I was 215 pounds, that's when I had an accident at the job I worked at and hurt my back, neck ect. well I had surgery to correct my back, neck is still in litigation, but I have lost a lot of weight, 180 now, and could my cholesterol have changed since then? I don't want to run to the doctor if cholesterol has nothing to do with the weight loss, I don't have my company insurance anymore I just have my husbands so there is an out of pocket after the insurance pays their part.So if someone can answer this question I would appreciate it.

billh99 responded:
I am not sure how much is due to losing weight or to the improved diet, but losing weight will help reduce total cholesterol, LDL, and triglycerides and increase HDL.

However, if your level of activity has been greatly reduced to the neck and back problems you might not see the maximum effect of the weight loss.

ermahampton responded:
Being overweight raises total blood cholesterol levels. In addition, it throws your cholesterol levels out of balance, raising levels of LDL cholesterol (the harmful kind of cholesterol that clogs blood vessels) and lowering levels of HDL cholesterol (the good kind of cholesterol that helps clear blood vessels).

kitzey responded:
Maybe its just me. I had my cholesterol checked last year and was 100 pounds over my ideal weight. It came back at 160, which at that point was the highest it had ever been. I lost the weight and am in my ideal weight range, eating less, as I already ate healthy, and much to my surprise my cholesterol came back at 234! I'm trying to find out whats going on as its never been an issue until I turned 46. Its as if it did the opposite with weight loss than it should have. I also never had a weight issue until I had to have a bunch of surgeries, and the weight issue was for about 2 years. I am at a loss...

suki65 replied to kitzey's response:
Sorry to hear of what has happened ,are you on statins or something else for your cholesterol ?
How do you feel in yourself ?
i am not sure with the figures as i am told with other numbers but cholesterol is supposed to be around 5 mine was 12.1 nearly 2 years ago but now it is 6.2 .
I was on statins (dont take any statins or fibrates ) try policosanol with coq10 first a herbal tablet from iherb ,or StaiQinon is supposed to be good (but never tried these yet )
Keep up with it

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

LOWERING CHOLESTEROL NATURALLY
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET MY CHOLESTEROL DOWN WITHOUT STATINS AND FINALLY I AM GETTING SOMEWHERE. I STARTED TAKING PANTETHINE 300 MG. TWICE ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 14 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!