Skip to content
When to retest cholerestrol levels?
An_250161 posted:
I have been off prescribed statins for two months. My doctor suggested stopping these after my liver enzymes where a little high. I am concerned about my total cholestrol as it was difficult to get under control. I recently had to switch physicians and the new one felt the high liver enzymes were due to medication. My question is how soon can I ask for a re-check of blood levels.

iride6606 responded:
I would wait at least 90 days. That is more than enough time for any statin related liver issues to resolve.

Hope it works out for you!

suki65 responded:
I have mine done every 2 months for cholesterol ,
i came off statins due to side effects i now take policosaol with coq10 and seeing how they go i will know next week if they are good ,but i have no side effects with them

gymrat47 responded:
I was taken off a very high dose of statins because my CK enzyme was insanely high. I had been on an 80 mg dose. In a month, my cholesterol went up a lot. During that time I was referred to a dietician and learned how to eat to improve it. I also started taking Cholestoff (an otc produt) on her advice. In 90 days my cholesterol had dropped significantly. I did 2 more 90 day rechecks and my doctor put me back on the same statin but at a 10 mg dose. That dose combined with my weight loss, eating changes and lots of exercise has kept me under 200 for 2 years. --If you have access to a dietician, it's a big help. Mine gave me lots of info on specific brands of foods and how to balance what I eat and avoid the bad fats. You can do a lot with your diet. -- My best advice came from a cardiologist I met with. "Don't worry-it will be okay." She was absolutely right, but hearing an expert say it made me feel a lot better.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

asea
has anyone tried asea? It helped my liver cysts. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.