Skip to content
Help! Sudden spike in Cholesterol, 295 :(
jacksoncabin posted:
Just got my lab results and my cholesterol was 295! I take no meds, and am otherwise healthy. I weigh 140, and eat healthy. I REALLY don't want to take statins! Thoughts?

iride6606 responded:
That's a big number, what was your breakdown? If your issue is high TGLs you can take a fenofibrate which is not a statin. If your HDL is just high you may not need anything. If your LDL is over 130 or 100 if you are a high risk for heart disease, you may need to make some major changes to your diet as well as some changes in how you live your life.

You say it was a spike, what were your previous results? Also, you may want to try a statin, they are very effective and help the vast majority that take them without issues. They may work for you, at least the odds are they will, but if you have issues you can always stop. Just a thought as you seem to be scared by all the anti-statin hype. I would certainly not start any med until I waited a few months and tested again to see if the numbers come down as many things can impact a lipid test. I would test again and 90 days and see if you really have a problem or not, but I'm not a doctor so keep that in mind as well.

grandmabarbaras replied to iride6606's response:
Hi:

Was the sudden spike related in time to an injury to bones or tendons, or surgery for such an injury? My total number has doubled in about six months with no change in diet, a reduction in activity necessary due to a serious injury and surgery. I am looking for other instances of sudden increases due to similar circumstances, and their resolution.

I have no medical degree, but I begin to wonder about the injury/increase relation in the short term.

billh99 replied to grandmabarbaras's response:
Those do have some effect on cholesterol levels. I had outpatient shoulder surgery and labs 10 days later.

My TC was up about 15% and trigs 50%.

But doubling seems to be high.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Lower cholesterol without drugs
I also had cholesterol numbers that kept inching higher. At 237 my dr. suggested meds. I don't want to go that route so took a good look at ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 22 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.