Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bad Experience with Lipitor
grzxjv posted:
After heart valve replacement surgery in '07 i went on 10 Mg Lipitor for a year and began noticing torso aches in later months before my annual cardiologist visit. I mentioned the aches and he said possible causes we "getting older, open heart surgery, and Lipitor". I went home, researched Lipitor and 'BINGO' I saw big problems with Lipitor and stopped it immediately. The next day after I stopped the torso aches were 80% better. (I have taken CoQ10 for many years including during the year of Lipitor.)
I am 73 years old but have worked out with free weights 5 days a week for 25 years and fast-paced daily bike rides of 20-30+ miles for 15 years.

I began noticing loading 40 pound bags of topsoil in my truck would produce chest aches and nausea 2 days later. Cutting heavier branches with anvil trimmers or other chores involving chest muscle strains made me feel bad. This has gotten progressively worse. The past few months, almost 5 years after stopping Lipitor, I have developed tender palms and soles of feet, especially in early AM and now have quivering in calf muscles especially at night and early AM, as well as twitching of calf muscles off and on.
Jan. 1 I started taking branched chain amino acids (BCAA) and l-creatine and switched to ubiquitol form of CoQ10 but have seen no results as yet.
Lipitor appears to be very dangerous.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

bobby75703 responded:
I had a very similar experience. Although I used a different cholesterol lowering medication, niaspan, its all chemically induced lowering of cholesterol.

Experienced weakness, muscles twitching, pretty much the same thing as you describe.

Cholesterol plays a vital role in health as it maintains structural integrity of cell membranes. Cholesterol also maintains our nervous system by helping form the protective layer which insulates our nerves. All our steroid hormones are made from cholesterol including Vitamin D. Yes, testosterone which gives our muscles strength is made from cholesterol. Cholesterol also helps form the bile acids we need for digestion.

Without LDL cholesterol, our cells would break apart, our nerves would be damaged, and we would be sexless individuals. Without LDL cholesterol we could not exist.

Cholesterol is a body building substance that gives us life. This is why there is so much cholesterol in an egg. Its there so the new chick can form.

When we take a statin, we block more processes than just cholesterol and CoQ10.

I find whey protein, eggs, ribeye steak, vitamin D, stimulants such as coffee, prescription testosterone, all seem to help with my muscles.

Take care and I hope you get to feeling stronger.

pattiyan responded:
I am taking Lipitor 40mg which dosage I was started on. I don't like taking it because I have some degree of kidney deficiency. Years back I was started on Zocor which had serious effects. I lost hair and contracted APS.When it is bad it can last for weeks when I get really horrific symptoms which are quite painful and on one occasion I felt like killing myself I was so distressed. I have also been put on Candesartan and Losartan but taken off again because of kidney problems.My BP and cholesterol is always high. I tried CoQ10 but my doctor told me they are expensive and useless, so I took her word for it-? You say you are better with that? My main worry though is Carotid stenosis. It went up threefold,and then 4 years ago it had gone up to 68.5 and 77.3.They say that it is too risky to have the operation,but I wonder what level it is at now? It is probably this that has caused my strokes-lack of oxygen to my brain.
My feet do hurt, my ankles ,and I take quinine tablets for cramps,but even quinine can affect one's eyesight,which it has.
I was most interested to have your comments. The question is:statins or no statins? They can affect the liver and kidneys. I had acute hepatitis once, that was dreadful. I lost a stone in two weeks.

An_250516 responded:
SOMETHING SIMILIAR HAPPENED TO ME.. AFTER TAKING LIPITOR ABOUT 4 YEARS I WOKE UP AMD ARM MUSCLES SO SORE I COULD HARDLY USE MY ARMS. CLAFS TWITCHING. QUIT LIPITOR ANDE WAS 75 PERCENT BETTER WITHIN A WEEK. CARDIO DOCTOR TOLD ME NO MORE LIPITOR. FAMILY DOCTOR PUT ME ME ON LOW DOSE PRESIDONE AND ARMS ARE SO MUCH BETTER. I DONT HAVE TO TAKE PAIN MEDS FOR IT RIGHT NOW. HOPING IT STAYS THIS GOOD AS I CAN LIVE WITH THIS. I AM 72 YR OLD FEMALE.

lkhan responded:
I took statins for six months till a friend introduced me to policosanols. I have been on it now for another six months, all nasty side effects described above are gone. Plus the fact my ldl cholesterol and triglyceride are at totally normal levels with the hdl higher than the normal which is pleasing. I suspect diet has to do with the latter - veggies, flaxseed, oat bran, cook in very little olive oil, eat meat rarely, fatty fish often.. a bit of cheese for breakfast. No white flour, butter or sugar in my diet or processed foods... daily long walks, and workouts... Supplements are CoQ10 and fish oils.

In short, highly recommend policosanol - it maintains my cholesterol total from 370 to 180... no more cramps, leg twitching etc..

wied30 responded:
I took Statin drugs for 18 years. I had severe itching and rash on my stomach and groin. Very miserable. Many dermatologist and two MD's said it couldn't come from the Statins. I couldn't tolerate the symptoms any more and told them I didn't care if the Statins we the cause or not. Within two months, my condition cleared up. The MD's still wanted me to take statins. I have taken them all including Red yeast Rice which is generic Mevicore. All had the same result, itching rash. Along with this my creatinine (kidney enzyme) was gradually rising. I asked the MD about this and he said it wasn't bad to which I responded that I wasn't comfortable with that so he suggested we try and find out what it was. Turned out to be bilateral kidney cancer. I had this operated on and my creatinine level stabilized and I had no more rash. Still many doctors wanted me to take more statin drugs! It has been 5 years now and my creatanine levels are still stabilized and no return so far of the cancer! I basically use the same diet as Ikhan.

richardshealth responded:
In 2002 it started out as my 1st heart catherization checkup due to lots of pain in my chest. i met the drs nurses in the ER lobby. they insisted i use the wheelchair. a nurse handed me a bag of clear liquid for an iv. got into the elevator went down to the floor where they did this proceedure. the door opened and i saw my dr and some more nurses. they all said hi, i said hi back and said this is my iv stuff. handing it to a nurse. 3 or 4 days later, after a 5 way by pass. I woke up to someone saying take a deep breath and hold it so i can pull these tubes out. i was in the recovery room for heart patients. i was put on lipitor, lisinopril, metoprol the next day. 11 days later i was released from the hospital and told to see my dr in a week. no i could not go to work for about 3 months.

2 years later i started getting leg cramps, both calf muscels would tighten up and felt like my ankels were going to break. my wife was scared out of her wits and i told her to call 911. i was screaming all that time in extream pain. the rescue team and 6 policemen soon got there. 2 helped me stand up and told me to force my feet flat and another 2 held me for an injection to calm me down. about an hour later i was transported back to the hospital where my dr was waiting. we talked about my medications and i was released to gohome a day later. simaler cramps have insued afterward, but no er assistance. we know what to do until the cramps loosened up. a year later my dr took me off lipitor and put me on crestor. no more cramps and all my level returned to almost normal. i am 67 years old and going to retire this year. my drs have moved on but most of my meds are the same and others have been added.

i still have twitching calf, hams and arm muscels.

iride6606 responded:
Wow, nice to see so many new members join up all at once and reply to a thread, nice to meet you all.

It sounds like you all made the right decisions for yourselves, congrats! As for me, I am on statins, have been for a good number of years with no side effects. Smooth sailing and part of a heart healthy life style for me. Hope you all do well.

gemini1946 responded:
I experienced the same muscle discomforts with the statins.The solution that worked for me was 200 mg of CoQ10 after dinner and one magnesium tablet(250mg)before bed,for the cramps and soreness in my legs.Give it a few weeks to kick in,you'll see the results.

iride6606 replied to gemini1946's response:
So you were able to manage your side effects or did you get off the Lipitor?

Bobby02 replied to gemini1946's response:
I was on Symvastatin for 5 months. During those 5 months my liver blood test results kept getting positive and abnormally high. I had to increase my insulin intake too. Now after stopping symvastatin, my liver blood test results are returning to normal. The problem is my insulin requirements. I still have to take larger doses. I am keeping my cholesterol in check by taking Benecol everyday and doing a strict diet free from dairy products.

iride6606 replied to Bobby02's response:
Another new member for this thread, amazing and welcome. So how high did your liver tests results get. Was it ALTs or ASTs?

Leepwrs replied to lkhan's response:
This is truly the best advice, I wish people would truly understand the importance of nutrition. The food manufactures are truly poisoning people. Watch FOOD INC . If you eat right you can limit medications

pars1968 replied to lkhan's response:
is policosanois on prescription or can you buy from a pharmacy?

Fido7 replied to lkhan's response:
Do you mind if I ask what is "Policosanols". I am on Lipitor 40mg & do not feel any ill effects. But I would like to know of an alternative medication treatment to Lipitor. Thanks, Fido

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Vit D reduces muscle pain from Statin
While the data is still mixed there is an indication that many people who get Myalgia (muscle pain) while on a statin suffer from low ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.