Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Simvastatin ??? Anyone out there get lightheadedness ???
1949sacca posted:
Anyone out there experience being light headed or dizzy on this staten it frightens the hell out of me not to mention weakness in my arms and legs , I feel like when in public I am going to pass out .
One time I was so bad I was behind the wheel driving and realized I maybe should not have my head was spinning .
I didn't take the pill yesterday and felt so much better so I bought the co q10 and garlic pills and I am getting off of the Linsinopril and Simvastaten right away .......this doctor I feel is trying to kill me , not to mention I read that all statins cause cancer.
Nice to know they can perscribe such garbage to us knowing this just to make a profit . I never trusted the medical profession and now I think I trust them even less now .
I don't even think I need the Lisinopril for blood pressure , mine elevates when in the doctors office for its like putting a rabbit in front of a cobra , mine elevates when in front of a physician ........
I am done with it , I am in control of my own body and I say what goes into it and if they give me a hard time its too bad for them my vascular surgeon will lecture me and plan on telling him to save his breath if falls on dead ears ............my mom was all holistic and I agree with her .

Anon_320 responded:
I'm sorry you're having such unpleasant symptoms, but your doctor is not trying to kill you. People have different reactions to different medications. And of all the bad things I've read about statins (and I had bad side effects from them myself), I've never read that they cause cancer; in fact, studies show that statins may lower the risk of cancer.

iride6606 responded:
I have to agree, I don't think your doctor wants you dead. I have been on Simvastatin for years and never experienced anything like this but we are all different. Dizziness is not a side effect that is listed with a statin but who knows.

I am not a doctor, but it sounds more like an issue with your BP med. Lisinopril works by slowing your heart rate. Get it too slow and you get dizzy and light headed. There are several classes of BP meds you can try if this one doesn't work. I take an ARB which works by helping your arteries stay more pliable and better able to absorb each beat. This class of drug has much fewer side effects so you may want to mention it to your doctor.

I hope it works out for you.

JamieJax responded:
Coming off that medication for one day proves NOTHING. It was still in your system, therefore you are probably blaming the wrong thing for your problems.

broadstairs22 responded:
Hello, In response to your post. Yes Im having dizzy/lightheadness with taking Simvastatin. Ive had it over a year now really bad.I did come off it briefly and all the symtoms dissapeared. Now doctors have just put me back on them again at a smaller dose....but I just noticed today after a week of taking them , that im getting dizzy again.
Have you resolved your problem with this?
Kind Regards
Pam

bobby75703 replied to broadstairs22's response:
The human body was never designed to run on statins. But it was designed to run on cholesterol.

iride6606 replied to bobby75703's response:
I don't follow your logic. The body was also designed to run on free T3 & T4 yet when the thyroid makes too much doctors prescribe a Thiocarbamide compound to control it's production of these hormones as they can be dangerous when they are overproduced. Should we avoid all meds designed to get our bodies balanced?

I don't think anyone is suggesting we "run" our bodies on statins, just to keep cholesterol in check. Seems reasonable, isn't that the point of most meds?

bobby75703 replied to iride6606's response:
Drugs to tame down hyperthyroidism are valid medications treating a valid medical issue. Statins in my view are not medication but rather a gimmick.

So is it OK for the drug companies to make money on Hyperthyroid drugs even though their side effects are the same as statins? In your view, how do you qualify a "gimmick" when both diseases are well researched, both have immense data to back up their position, how in your view can you say one is a gimmick and one is not?

Can you show us any data that strongly suggests there is no link between cholesterol and heart disease? Something other than a professor's "postulating" or a doctor's blog or a snippet from an article. Show us a real study with quantitative data. Help us understand how you can determine statins are a gimmick. I can show you as many studies as you like to show a link if you like, so show us something that says otherwise so we can recognize a gimmick as well. I know people with heart disease due to blockages that have lead to multiple life threatening and altering interventions that would probably disagree with your notion that these blockages made of cholesterol in their arteries are a gimmick. Help me know how to explain that to them.

Maybe if we all understood the mevalonate pathway?

If everyone fully understood the mevalonate pathway, nobody would swallow a statin- ever. Nobody.

Cholesterol of say, 225, is NOT a disease. Yet statins are being prescribed simply because total cholesterol is over 200.

Prescribing pills to perfectly healthy people is the direct result of sales and marketing. Not medical science. And it places them at unnecessary risk.

While all drugs carry risk, there is a huge difference between legitimate drugs and gimmicks.

bobby75703 replied to bobby75703's response:
Hyperthyroidism is a real disease which warrants valid treatment.

The cholesterol theory is exactly that, a theory. When people take statins, at best they are tossing pills at somebody's guess.

Hmmm, doesn't sound like a gimmick to me, sounds like a real disease;

Familial hypercholesterolemia is a genetic disorder caused by a defect on chromosome 19.
The defect makes the body unable to remove low density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") cholesterol from the blood. This results in high levels of LDL in the blood. High levels of LDL cholesterol make you more likely to have narrowing of the arteries from atherosclerosis at an early age. Those with familial hypercholesterolemia are more likely to have a family history of high cholesterol and heart disease at a younger age than normal.
The condition is typically passed down through families in an autosomal dominant manner. That means you only need to get the abnormal gene from one parent in order to inherit the disease.
In rare cases, a child may inherit the gene from both parents.When this occurs, the increase in cholesterol levels is much more severe, greatly increasing the risk for heart attacks and heart disease, even in childhood.
Read that part about a defect in the chromosome and such, sounds legit. When we look at the "big picture" it is easy to see the correlation. If we are limited by our beliefs we can't see the obvious.

When people take statins, at best they are tossing pills at somebody's guess.

Interesting comment given how many threads and posts we see about people "postulating" their theories. Is there a way to discern postulating from a guess? Do we believe both or none?

The cholesterol theory is just one of many theories in heart disease. One day I believe we will nail the underlying mechanism behind heart disease. Until that day comes, all we have are theories.

At what point does it become more than a theory?

Data on 90,056 individuals from 14 trials were combined. During a mean follow-up of 5 years, almost a half-million person years of observation, there was a significant 12% reduction in all-cause mortality per 38.6 mg/dl (1 mmol/l) reduction in LDL-C, a 19% reduction in coronary mortality, a 24% reduction in the need for revascularisation a 17% reduction in stroke and a 21% reduction in any major vascular event. Importantly, a similar proportional benefit was observed in different age groups, across genders, at different levels of baseline lipids [including triglycerides (TG) and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C)> (Figure 1) and equally among those with prior CAD and cardiovascular (CV) risk factors as in those without. The CTT meta-analysis collected data on 5103 new cases of cancer with no evidence that statins increased the overall incidence of any form of cancer [hazard ratio (HR) 1.0, confidence interval (CI): 0.95-1.06 and p = 0.9>.

For those concerned about statin safety, check out these incidence rates;

Compared with placebo, statin therapy is safe and reduces the 5-year incidence of major coronary events, coronary revascularisation and stroke among those at high risk of vascular disease or with pre-existing disease. The safety data presented in CTT come from randomised control trials some of which (e.g. HPS) have a run-in period and consider only patients who are able to tolerate statin therapy, a relevant consideration when interpreting these data. In a systematic review using registry data Law and Wald (1) estimated that the risk of rhabdomyolysis was 3/100,000 person years, myopathy was 11/100,000 person years, peripheral neuropathy 12/100,000 person years with liver disease being even rarer. The authors conclude that side effects are rare and likely to be more common when drugs which block the CYP3A4 pathway are co-administered.

Again, can anyone show me a study with a half-million person years of data on almost 100,000 participants followed for over 5 years that suggests there is NO LINK between cholesterol and heart disease? Are there other factors, I'm sure there are but there is a definite and proven link between high LDL and heart disease. Anyone looking at the problem in a "big picture" way would look at this data objectively and not just say it is invalid.

Again I ask, at what point does it stop being a theory?

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

statins
I stopped Crestor for 33 days. my lipids were: [br>TC 139 [br>HDL 35 [br>TRG 126 [br>LDL/HDL 2.3 [br>GLU 88 ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.