Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
latest
An_251376 posted:
Total =135 (down from 210)
LDL = 65 (down from 135)
HDL+42

bobby75703 responded:
Be careful. Once your Total drops below 120, and LDL below 50, you enter hypolipidemia which bears its own risks.

billh99 replied to bobby75703's response:
http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine_and_metabolic_disorders/lipid_disorders/hypolipidemia.html

Etiology
[a name="v991372"> Hypolipidemia is defined as a total cholesterol (TC) < 120 mg/dL (< 3.1 mmol/L) or low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol < 50 mg/dL (< 0.13 mmol/L). Secondary causes are far more common than primary causes and include all of the following:
  • Hyperthyroidism
  • Chronic infections and other inflammatory states
  • Hematologic and other cancers
  • Undernutrition (including that accompanying chronic alcohol use)
  • Malabsorption
The unexpected finding of low cholesterol or low LDL cholesterol in a patient not taking a lipid-lowering drug should prompt a diagnostic evaluation, including measurements of AST, ALT, and thyroid-stimulating hormone; a negative evaluation suggests a possible primary cause.

BTW, did you see my latest posted under the pinned Cholesterol Check Challenge thread.

TC 113
HDL 59
LDL 47
Trig 35

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

try the q
I've been taking CoQ10 200mg every night since being on statins.It helps me with muscle aches caused by the statins without any side ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.