Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Results!
JJTX66 posted:
I have had an endarterectomy (carotid artery) is 2004 and a stent in my LAD (widowmaker) in 2010 due to blockages in my arteries. I was placed on Lipitor in 2004, starting at 20 mg. That soon was increased to 40 mg and finally to 80 mg in 2007. Geez ... that is a lot of meds for a lady! I have put on about 20 lbs in the past 13 years basically to slowing of my metabolism. I had one of those basal tests and I cannot consume over 1300 calories/day (assuming I do no exercise) and maintain my weight without gaining pounds.
I have tried several "diets" including WW but nothing would lower the cholesterol and improve my blood chemistry. I was also taking fish oil for about a year. Then in early January 2013 I decided to try to do a plant-based diet as much as possible and also not consume dairy. I read Dr. Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" and there are some radical views in the book (for me) but the basis of the book was where I started. I was seriously trying to improve my blood chemistry and was hoping to lose at least 10 lbs. I told my cardio about this and he was glad. He told me to wait 3 months and let's see the results. I did and at the end of March had my blood lipid panel done. To my shock, my total cholesterol had fallen from 198 down to 119. I have never had cholesterol under 178 for the past 20 years - ever since I have been having it routinely profiled! Also my LDL cholesterol (really bad stuff) went from 104 down to 56. My triglycerides were unchanged and my HDL went down about 30 pts.
All I can say is that only eating meat protein (of any kind) 2 or 3 times a week in the evening only has done something that 80 mg of Lipitor has been unable to do for years. I guess if you don't put it in your system, it will not end up in your blood!!
It has made a believer out of me.

bobby75703 responded:
Fuhrman's diet is low calorie, so I would expect it to have a lipid lowering effect. Its human physiology. Cut calories, lower lipids.

iride6606 responded:
Congrats, seems you found a system that works for you, that's great! I need to read up on that diet.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Lower Cholesterol by changing my chemical balance - eating habits
With a history of heart disease in my family (father), I was all to aware of the need to keep my numbers under control. A few years ago, I ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 32 found this helpful