Skip to content
NIH Heart disease decline Graph
bobby75703 posted:

bobby75703 responded:
Above is the NIH gragh depicting the decline in death rates from Heart Disease in the United States. The black ink is from the NIH, and the red ink are my notations. The vertical red line is 1987 when statins came onto the market.

For healthy discussion:

1.What do you think caused the decline from 1968 to 1987, before statins existed.

2. Why do you think the decline rate pre and post statins was unchanged?

3. Is it possible whatever factors influenced the decline rate before statins, was still in effect after statins?

iride6606 replied to bobby75703's response:
Seems to me we've beaten this dead horse a time or two. This is simple, cholesterol levels began a decline in the 1960s. Lifestyles erroded in the 80s as our diets went south. Statins kept heart disease in check.

Nothing has changed since the last time we saw this one.

Again, please read;

From 1964-1984, coronary heart disease mortality declined 40% and stroke mortality declined 55%. This improvement may be attributed to numerous efforts to reduce cardiovascular disease risk factors. The percentage of males (20 years and older) who smoke cigarettes decreased from 52.1% in 1965 to 32% in 1985, while the decrease among females was from 34.2% in 1965 to 28% in 1983. The percentage of persons 25 to 74 years of age with high-risk cholesterol levels has decreased from 26.9% in 1960-62 to 21.9% in 1976-80. From 1960-1980 the percentage of persons with blood pressure higher or equal to 160/95 remained at 21%, the percentage of those with blood pressure higher or equal to 140/90 remained at 41% and the proportion of overweight persons remained at about 28% in the US; but public awareness of the importance of high blood pressure screening and control increased significantly, leading to increases in the number of persons with hypertension receiving treatment to control their condition. If the decline in cardiovascular disease mortality is to continue, further preventive efforts are in order.

bobby75703 replied to iride6606's response:
So you are saying, if statins hadn't come into the picture, the decline rate would not have continued its steady decline?

How can you know that for sure?

iride6606 replied to bobby75703's response:
How can you know it would? I have stated this as my opinion every time you post this graph or your increase in fast food graph.

bobby75703 replied to iride6606's response:
Concerning the rate of decline, several have made an observation that bears no speculation. "Nothing changed that wasn't already happening" after statins.

Wouldn't you agree? The graph line didn't flinch.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Lower Cholesterol by changing my chemical balance - eating habits
With a history of heart disease in my family (father), I was all to aware of the need to keep my numbers under control. A few years ago, I ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.